5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

H-pipe installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 01:58 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default H-pipe installation

Hey, quick question, before assembling the H-pipe, is there any tips you can think of? Do I need to use any kind of gasket maker or anything on where they join up or no?
Old 01-01-2005, 02:26 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: H-pipe installation

Just installed mine earlier this week. Just make sure everything is very tight, exhaust is a very picky thing so it must be as tight as possible, and use lock washers. Make sure you listen to it to make sure there is no leak after the install.. You don't need any gasket gew... The flanges are designed to seal to eachother. Make sure you put it in there loosly before tightening everything up so that you can adjust it. When it is all back together, check your tail pipes to see if they are lined up (something I didn't do) and correct if needed. All in all, fairly simple. Make sure to support with jacks, and chalk the wheels ALWAYS! Good luck
Old 01-01-2005, 04:28 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 91hatchgt

Just installed mine earlier this week. Just make sure everything is very tight, exhaust is a very picky thing so it must be as tight as possible, and use lock washers. Make sure you listen to it to make sure there is no leak after the install.. You don't need any gasket gew... The flanges are designed to seal to eachother. Make sure you put it in there loosly before tightening everything up so that you can adjust it. When it is all back together, check your tail pipes to see if they are lined up (something I didn't do) and correct if needed. All in all, fairly simple. Make sure to support with jacks, and chalk the wheels ALWAYS! Good luck
what does chalk the wheels mean?
Old 01-01-2005, 04:40 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

all i would recomend is putting some grease on the hangers so it slides in easier
Old 01-01-2005, 06:26 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Bobby, chocking the tires is putting those wedges on them so the car and the wheels don't move.

Lock washers, those are the ones where the inside of the ring is bent inward at a bunch of small intervals right?
Old 01-01-2005, 06:28 AM
Magic8Ball

Yes.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:31 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

You can use those one's too, but I would suggest using the other type. It is like a washer that has been cut on one side and tweaked a little, when you tighten them down they compress. They came with my H-pipe. Chalking (sp?) the wheels is putting something in front of the tires to keep it from rolling on top of you. It's fairly easy. Have fun.
ORIGINAL: Demon_Mustang

Bobby, chocking the tires is putting those wedges on them so the car and the wheels don't move.

Lock washers, those are the ones where the inside of the ring is bent inward at a bunch of small intervals right?
Old 01-01-2005, 03:16 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I always use a thin coating of anti-seize compound on the insides of the pipes and outside of the bells on the pipes as this helps let them move around a bit when it comes time to line everything up just right and it helps make them come apart easier when you need to remove them for any reason later on. also use some on the nuts and bolts too for the same reason. liquid dish washing soap works good on the rubber hangers too.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:45 PM
jamal420
1st Gear Member

oxy acetylene torch makes easy work of the old exhaust and some enforce penetrating oil
Old 01-01-2005, 07:51 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

this makes kwik work of the old exhaust

[IMG]local://upfiles/1534/276A91249F9A4FB0970F16F7BB468B9C.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: H-pipe installation