5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Idle same after venting PCV to Atmopshere-Blower

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:24 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

Default Idle same after venting PCV to Atmopshere-Blower

Well...I took everyone's advice and unhooked my PCV from vacuum and vented it to the atmosphere again....

The car idles the same....still surges...does not sound any different then when it was hooked to vacuum.....appears to have the same amount of vacuum and run same Air Fuel Mixture on either set up(I have gauges)

I know the PCV is working because...there is a small amount of oil in my seperator.

Why is this the case..just trying to get it right before Dyno Tune Friday....

Thanks for the 7000th time

Old 06-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Idle same after venting PCV to Atmopshere-Blower

Simple....it was still under the ±25% (some systems are ±17%) fuel trimming window = the system was capable of compensating for it and achieving the target stoich.

Now would be a good time for a combo of DIY KOEO/KOER self-tests and a base idle reset.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:51 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Take a look at your KAMFR with the engine running and through various RPMs. Of course, you will have to know what it was before (or setup everything the way it was before) and then reset the computer before doing it with the PCV disconnected again.

But anyway, besides your A/F ratio, compare your KAMFR before and after. That will show you how much fuel is being added / pulled at any given moment.

As stated above, the computer can "learn" to deal with certain rich or lean conditions on it's own (depending on the situation.) For example, if you're constantly rich at idle, it will learn to pull fuel at idle. That works great until something changes to make it run richer or leaner.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:51 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

I did that too...I think I was getting code 22...MAP sensor...most likely due to the cam...

Oh well I guess I will let the tuner at it on Friday...

Just because I want to be difficult I am going to have him do runs with the PCV to vacuum and without so I can see the difference.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:53 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: only90s

I did that too...I think I was getting code 22...MAP sensor...most likely due to the cam...

Just because I want to be difficult I am going to have him do runs with the PCV to vacuum and without so I can see the difference.
Don't forget to reset the computer before so you are starting fresh, although that really won't be an issue if they are tuning it anyway because that will be done automatically. (Assuming you are getting it tuned at teh same time)
Old 06-05-2007, 07:00 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

Yes it will be tuned at the same time...I am also armed with the information you guys gave me yesterday about the unmetered air...I also spoke with two other tuners today that said you can run the breathers and PCV but it is not right-vacuum leak.

Now that I am a mature 36 year old(ya right) I care about all this stuff...when I was a kid if my Paxton poweredNotch started I was good to go....

At least my Harley runs great and does not have any issues.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Wo-wo-wo......a code 22 most likely due to the cam?.....if your sig is up-to-date, you have a MA setup.....the MAP (which is really a Barometric Pressure sensor now) should not see any difference in its reading due to the cam overlap (it shouldn't be connected to a vacuum source)...... BTW....a code 22 will cause the system to fall under the FMEM (Failure Mode Effects Management) strategy....and is something that should be corrected before the tune. Just a thought.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:13 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

[[/quote]
Wo-wo-wo......a code 22 most likely due to the cam?.....if your sig is up-to-date, you have a MA setup.....the MAP (which is really a Barometric Pressure sensor now) should not see any difference in its reading due to the cam overlap (it shouldn't be connected to a vacuum source)...... BTW....a code 22 will cause the system to fall under the FMEM (Failure Mode Effects Management) strategy....and is something that should be corrected before the tune. Just a thought.

[/quote]

According to my book a Code 22:

Manifold Absolute Pressure or Barometric sensor out of specification(engine off) or not at normal vacuum levels(engine running)

Maybe that code is from all the unmetered air....from those breathers
Old 06-05-2007, 07:30 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

Thanks...just realized that I do have the MAP connected to Vacuum...going to unhook it now..
Old 06-05-2007, 08:01 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

Thanks...just realized that I do have the MAP connected to Vacuum...going to unhook it now..

Well I am an IDIOT....Map was connected to vacuum....not anymore...thing idles awesome...Thanks Joel5.0...