5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:35 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default what spark plugs

Engine description is in my sig.Wondering what auto lite plug would be best for my engine as well and a good gap to start with. Also what what total timing would you all suggest. I dont know if it makes a difference but i pull 5.5 inches of vacuum at idle on account of the cam and no power brakes. No vacuum advance but mech advance. MSD dist. part # is 8578, digital 6a box part # is 6520.
Thanks
Old 06-07-2007, 01:50 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what spark plugs

any body have any ideas???
Old 06-07-2007, 03:01 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Autolites
Old 06-08-2007, 12:40 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I plan to use autolites. Need to know what number to go with. Anybody have a similiar set-up to mine. All recommendations will be appreciated.If there are any carb gurus out there can you help me with my idle, it is running rich. I changed my power valve to a 2.5 and i still have black smoke at idle and i am fouling my plugs. The 2.5 power valvle was put in because i measuring 5in. of vaccum at idle. I am trying to get the best of both worlds, track and street, but with my set-up i dont know if this is possible.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:43 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

hey genius.... Ive posted in two of your other threads about this already

CONTACT TRICKFLOW AND ASK THEM!!!

moron
Old 06-08-2007, 12:57 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Old 06-08-2007, 01:02 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

hey genius.... Ive posted in two of your other threads about this already

CONTACT TRICKFLOW AND ASK THEM!!!

moron

I would expect some smart-*** commentfrom a kid,i dont know if you are. I dont recall you posting in any of my threads. If you are tech-certified(a professional)certainly you can communicate better than calling someone a moron. I am a electronics tech for the airforce(civil service) and if any one ask me a question i dont try to demean them because they are not knowledeable about my line of work So if it doesnt hurt your ego too much, please keep your smart *** comments to yourself.

Thank you

Old 06-08-2007, 01:25 AM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

I chose my plugs based off the recommendation from Trickflow.....But since you had them ported, they may call for something else.

Another resource is the Summit line.....if you call them up, there tech support guys are pretty knowledgable.....at least the ones that I dealt with....

Here is the #:
1-330-630-0240
Old 06-08-2007, 01:52 AM
yellow#5

as far as the timing i would set base timing where you have the most vac then take it out and advance until you hear pining then back it off a bit...this will give you an idea about total advance... don't be surprised if you need to recurve the dist..as far as your carb is this a new carb or used??? a friend of mine had a new one out of the box that did the same thing had it exchanged and the prob is gone... There is alot that can go wrong. also what is your fuel psi? changing power valves in my experience is touch and go if it is that rich something else is going on... even with all the mods you have done 750 is large but can work
Old 06-08-2007, 02:43 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

The HP 750 was used. He may have altered it. I run 6.5 psi with fuel. I have two fuel pumps, one is a BG and the other a holley. I run unleaded with the holley pump. The BG pump is there for when i get a wilson plate and cylinoids to run a 150 shot. I have all the lines run and everything is run off relays, also have a purge switch and bottle mounted in the back. Just looking for a good used deal on the plate and cylinoids. THe car only is rich at idle when i get on it, it flys. Was told i might not be able to have the best of both worlds(street and strip) I shift at 6500 and dont want to be lean and my cam is pretty agressive.

Quick Reply: what spark plugs