5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how to correctly purge a coolant system

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 02:15 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default RE: how to correctly purge a coolant system

ORIGINAL: capri debris

Stop and think through your question... how can an air bubble in your coolant make smoke of any color come out your tailpipe? I'm interested in knowing your though pattern on this. I see no difference in asking a question like this... "My tires are low on air, would that cause smoke to come out my tailpipe?" Your coolant passages are a completely seperate system than your exhaust system. If you have a blown head gasket and coolant is leaking into the cylinders or condensation in the exhaust.... you will get white smoke. If you have bad rings or valve stem seals.... you will get blue smoke (burning oil). If you are running too rich... you will get black smoke. An air bubble in the cooling system will just make your car run hot which could eventually lead to a blown head gasket and then simply burping it won't fix the problem at that point. Does your motor have over 100,000 miles? If so you may just be seeing normal smoke from a tired motor, but an air bubble inthe cooling system has nothing to do with it.
the car is running hot tho.... so i was thinking that my coolant system isnt working properly and im cooking hte hell out the engine.... i wasnt sayin that the bubble in my passage was was a direct cause... i was say that it worried me cuz it was running really hot and now im gettim smoke and **** coming out everywhere.... i was give all the info so sum1 like u could suggest other problems... which u did... rings head gaskets or bad vavle seals..... that kinda sux cuz i just had hte heads done by thumper performance so im hoping not the vavle seals... head gaskets are pretty likely i would think since i just did a h/c/i... and hte car only has 45k on it so its not a old motor problem by ne means.... ne ideas on were i should start looking for proof of ne of hte possible problems u mentioned... u told me how to test for possible valve seals leakage but what else can u try for the rest

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

I'd say you need to do a compression and leakdown test
how do u do one of these test??

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: dman302

Smoke out the exhaust is not a air/coolant issue...it's a leak into the cylinders either by the intake or head gasket, the high running temps would support a head gasket idea. Blue smoke when 'on it' would indicate blowby where as blue smoke when engine braking (slowing the car by taking the foot off the throttle and allowing the car being in gear to slow it) is a better indication of valve seals. Adder is correct in the compression and leak down test....
almost... very close

Blue smoke on startup, then clears... bad valve seals
blue smoke when "on it".... piston ring blow by
blue smoke with engine braking.... Bad valve guides
it doesnt smoke on start up nemore... and i did a lotta engine braking when i was driving it... but it was lil stuff just to slow down like 5 mph so i dunno id thats enough but i dont recall smoke... unless i had just gotten on it.... and im not 100% sure is blue smoke... my dad said that... and he was on a bike behind me so i dunno.... i know ive seen white smoke b4 come out hte hood rite by the windshield thats how i saw it.... so that is proabably a head gasket situation isnt it??? i didnt change the piston rings so they could be ok and hte could not be i dunno... i didnt wanna deal with it cuz there was nothing wrong with the bottom end b4 i started the build... so dont fix whats not broke kinda think was goin on there.... newayz if i had to guess form what i remember it doin last nite its a possible head gasket leak or piston ring blow by.... which neither are good cuz that means i have to tear it apart again... and i dont wanna do the piston stuff cuz i reall dont have a clue on what needs to be done... so idea ahve to send it tothe machanic... which would sux
Old 06-09-2007, 02:27 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: capri debris

"My tires are low on air, would that cause smoke to come out my tailpipe?"

My car smokes out the tailpipes like crazy when the tires are low on air, but when I put inflate them to proper psi, the problem completely goes away. Wierd huh??

Old 06-09-2007, 02:39 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

I hate to say this, but I think something went wrong when you did your HCI. The engine physically shouldn't smoke at all, underhood temps shouldn't be much different than before, and smoke out the tailpipes aint good. I know there has been mention that the head gaskets smoke until theyre broken in.. this is B.S. If everything is good when firing up a motor that has just had an HCI, or even a newly machined performance motor, it should fire right up smoothly. (unless it just takes a few seconds to burn the prelube in the cylinders) All motors I've put in fired up perfectly right from the get go.
The only smoke that may come from the engine itselft should just be greasy hand prints from the headers and exhaust but shouldn't last for more than a few minutes.
Also there may be some funny smells for a day or two as the engine paint, gaskets, abd hoses get hot for the first time.

Do a leakdown test leak down test like others have mentioned to try and isolate the problem, but I think there is a head gasket sealing issue and a timing issue.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:13 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cleanfitty

I hate to say this, but I think something went wrong when you did your HCI. The engine physically shouldn't smoke at all, underhood temps shouldn't be much different than before, and smoke out the tailpipes aint good. I know there has been mention that the head gaskets smoke until theyre broken in.. this is B.S. If everything is good when firing up a motor that has just had an HCI, or even a newly machined performance motor, it should fire right up smoothly. (unless it just takes a few seconds to burn the prelube in the cylinders) All motors I've put in fired up perfectly right from the get go.
The only smoke that may come from the engine itselft should just be greasy hand prints from the headers and exhaust but shouldn't last for more than a few minutes.
Also there may be some funny smells for a day or two as the engine paint, gaskets, abd hoses get hot for the first time.

Do a leakdown test leak down test like others have mentioned to try and isolate the problem, but I think there is a head gasket sealing issue and a timing issue.

yea there was a timing issue... ive fix that a few nites ago.... so its running a 14* now... but i got an update on the smoke.... had my dad follow me agian on the bike with out is sunglasses so he could tell the smoke color better.... first off i get smoke when i get on it... more i get on it the more smoke i get.... also the smoke isnt just white... its whiter but dad smell burning oil and it didnt disappate like white antifreeze smoke would... its lingered a lil.... he said he noticed a bit of blue tint in it some times.... it doesnt smoke when i turned it on... it used to when i first of it done.... so im thinking that was the **** your talkin about burning off... id didnt do it to long... so i think it was ok... i think u may have a head gasket leak tho.... what about these leaking test and compression test??? how do u do them???
Old 06-09-2007, 04:39 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

TTT