5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

advanced autopart starters suck

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:08 AM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

Default advanced autopart starters suck

so i went to install my NEW starter last night. As I was installing it I noticed that it had a solenoid built in to the starter. SO i scratched my head ina confusing manner and looked over to the driver side engine wall and saw a white starter solenoid there too. and i was like WTF! so i made some ghetto rig there jumping some wires and it worked, but when i cranked it over the starter kept sticking. WTF! i bought some shims for it and the holes wont line up perfectly. Me being the impatient S.O.B. that I am i decided to force it in there and i stripped the freaking thread on the tranny. what do I do now?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:19 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Default RE: advanced autopart starters suck

Weird....my starter is from advance auto parts and it bolted in with no problems.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VigCS

Weird....my starter is from advance auto parts and it bolted in with no problems.
I got one from there as well and it works fine.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:22 AM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

did you get the one for the right year? i dont remember my starter having a selenoid on it when i was working on my clutch. maybe you got the starter for an sn95?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:22 AM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

I wonder if they gave you the wrong one, and that's why it didn't fit.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:45 AM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

and this is why I refuse to shop at advanced auto parts. maybe up north they are different, but where I live they have no common sense and the first thing that comes out of their mouth is "what year is the car?" I will ask them for a hose clamp or some generic part that is universal and they will still ask me what year my car is. and when they figure out the messed up and look like idiots they will tell youthat they dont carry that part, just so that they dont have to look it up for you. every single one I have been to in the Greater Miami area. autozone is a little better, at least they speak english sometimes.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: piedraco

and this is why I refuse to shop at advanced auto parts. maybe up north they are different, but where I live they have no common sense and the first thing that comes out of their mouth is "what year is the car?" I will ask them for a hose clamp or some generic part that is universal and they will still ask me what year my car is. and when they figure out the messed up and look like idiots they will tell youthat they dont carry that part, just so that they dont have to look it up for you. every single one I have been to in the Greater Miami area. autozone is a little better, at least they speak english sometimes.
The computer tells them everything! - :P
Old 06-12-2007, 11:52 AM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

well it seems that the intellectual brain power that they have combined has morphed my car from an 89 to a 93 when they stopped using the solenoid on the driver side engine compartment and moved it to the starter. I wonder if I can get them to exchange it???
Old 06-12-2007, 11:54 AM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

and this still doesnt resolve my problem about stripping the tranny threads. does anyone know how to fix that?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:44 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

your gonna have to re-tap the threads.
your probably going to have to use the next size up

Quick Reply: advanced autopart starters suck