5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Multiple Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Pearlkobra12
2nd Gear Member

Default Multiple Problems

Alright so i've racked up the problems on my 89 notch. Ill try to catergorize this to make it easy to understand problem by problem.

Oil Pressure:
Alright I have mechanical autometer gauges including a oil pressure. The engine in my mustang was built only 4,000 miles ago. When i start the car the oil pressure goes to a steady 55 psi. I pull out on the highway and go 55 for about 3 miles and at the end of the three miles it drops to about 40-45 psi. Now i'm in town doing thirty and it drops down to about 30 psi. I come to a stop sign it goes down to 10 psi. I sit in a parking spot idling and it goes to about 7 psi. At any point i rev my engine the psi jumps up but then drops back down. What is going on?

Flooding:
Okay now for this problem. Recently my car has been flooding. If i come up to a long stop light or idle i can tell its pumping way to much gas into the car becuase it is running way to rich. If i'm lucky i can give it just the right amount of gas to keep it running without letting it completly flood itself. Also if i turn the car off and try to start it within twenty minutes it acts flooded. I have a fuel pressure gauge on my motor and it drops when i turn the car off. I just replaced the fuel pressure regulator. I am guessing a leaky injector? What do you think?

Knocking:
I haven't had a problem with this until last night. Last night it did the whole flood itself and when i drove off it started knocking. It knocked whenver i gave it gas. I don't know what kind of knock it was though. I have just recently retarded the timing from 15 degrees to 10 degrees in an attempt to make it idle better ( which it did). What do you think it is? in an attempt to describe the knock it sounded like someone was hitting the firewall with a rubber mallet. what do you think?

Dying:
Just recently my car has been dying whenver i push the clutch in to come up to a stop light, stop sign,..ect. Its like the rpm's go to low and it kills itself. I think it may be from retarding the timing but i'm not sure. help?

Any help is very appreciated. thanks, nathan
Old 06-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Pony 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Multiple Problems

I can try to help you out with the injector problem. I had a hanging injector which I just replaced. It caused my engine to run rough and smell rich. The fact that you are losing your fuel pressure is a possible sign of a leaking injector. That injector could also cause fuel wash in the affected cylinder and if severe enough, it could wash the oil from rod and possibly the main bearing which may result in the knock you are hearing. As for your oil pressure, if you still have the original aluminum cased stock oil pump, replace it with a Melling which has an iron case. I lost an engine forthat very reason. The pump gears ate away the aluminum case and wallowed it out.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Pearlkobra12
2nd Gear Member

alrite well tonight ill be rippin the intake off and putting different injectors on that i have off my other motor...any other suggestions? thanks pony 5.0
Old 06-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Pony 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Read your spark plugs. They can tell you what's going on in your engine. I found the one bad injector becauseone spark plug out of eight was black and wet. Ideally, they should be dry and light gray to tanin color.
As for the knocking, check your timing. Bring it to 10 deg BTDC, then play with it until you find the sweet spot. The dying could be from a variety of reasons. I had the same problem along with a surging idle and it turned out to be vacuum leaks from the upper to lower intake, the lower to head gaskets and from the end gaskets on the lower manifold. After changing all of those out (use a bead of silicone for the ends), no more surging or dying. Hope that helps you out.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Pearlkobra12
2nd Gear Member

Alright sounds good. got my list of things to do for tonight. I am very close to parting a carb on haha
Old 06-13-2007, 08:39 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

throw in a bottle of lucas on ur next oil change.

it nearly doubled my oil pressure. lowest its ever gotten to was 38 psi at an idle and that was after beating the ever living crap out of it.

it used to drop to around 20 psi after driving for 20 minutes. not anymore!

also fixed my noisy valves! 2 birds with 1 stone!
Old 06-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Pearlkobra12
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93 LX FiveO

it nearly doubled my oil pressure. lowest its ever gotten to was 38 psi at an idle and that was after beating the ever living crap out of it.

But i dont think thats FIXING the problem...seems more like a bandaid
Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Pearlkobra12

ORIGINAL: 93 LX FiveO

But i dont think thats FIXING the problem...seems more like a bandaid
your motor is wearing down, your oil gets thin when it warms up...

the only way to fix it would be to replace all your bearings
Old 06-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Pearlkobra12
2nd Gear Member

But do you POSSIBLY think it could be just the oil pump? when i rev it the oil pressure shoots back up...?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:06 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

no

Quick Reply: Multiple Problems