5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

dash brake light

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 02:04 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

Default dash brake light

i start my car up today and two lights on on in my dash. they are just below the seatbelt light there is two of them and one has a exclamation point and the other a p with a circle around it. i was low on brake fluid so i put some in. of coarse the brakes don't have a very positive feel anymore. do you think a brake bleeding will get rid of the light?
Old 06-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Default RE: dash brake light

How much fluid did you add? I keep mine full (i have a min and max). Make sure the plug on the side wasnt knocked loose. If thats ok make sure your Ebrake handle is down the whole way. If your brakes feel mushy then they either need bled or the brake booster may be shot, but dont go buying a new booster just yet. Check the brake lines for any damage or loose fittings and (if you still have drums), check the wheel cylinders for leaking. There should be NO fluid leaking past the rubber boots. Youll know if they are.

Bleeding the brakes doesnt effect the dash light. That light is either low fluid or the Ebrake handle isnt down the whole way.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:17 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

i am just about positive i am leaking fluid from the left rear tire but haven't had time to look at it yet. the car is a 91. i am going to investigate the leaking tommorow more. i put just about a whole mini bottle of brake fluid in.

i checked my ebrake handle and it seems fine. i then added the fluid and the light is still on. could i maybe have to disconnect the battery to get rid of the light?
Old 06-16-2007, 05:53 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

alright here is an update for anybody who has a similar problem... for whatever reason i didn't have time to work on the car for a couple days and not the light is off. so that problem was fixed. now i had to find out where the fluid was leaking from and i found that my rleft rear brake cylinder was leaking... fixed that bled and i am of to the races again.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:01 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Sometimes the float in the m/c reservoir will stick thus not allowing the light to go out. that may have been your problem.