5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

mega bite install people...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Default mega bite install people...

ok today i was working on installing these beasts. the only thing that is hard is to loosen all the old bolts and get the old sh-t out. finding the order in which to raise and lower the car to get the springs out was tricky, the hardest part was bolting the mega bite control arm in, it seemed too short!! i had to tap the axle with a hammer to get the holes aligned and i just hope i didnt put any unnecessary stress on the axle with a seemingly shorter control arm. it looks odd but i hope it serves its purpose. i did not install the one on the left yet because the right one took me about 6 hours of experimenting.

also note, i torqued the control arm bolts down to the specified tightness, will my poly bushings crack or break?? because there is a lot of pressure on those things!!!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:22 PM
pipeliner
1st Gear Member

Default RE: mega bite install people...

The bushing should not break. It could put a indention it it thou if you leave the unsprung weight on it to long but with the car back down shouldnt bother it.. You are using 2 jacks for this project I hope if not makes it alot easier. Also I dont know how many miles you got on your shocks but its usually a good time to replace the quads and rears while your screwing around under there.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

quads are stock and i just replaced the rear shocks to lakewoods. springs are soft just like i want them. other than that i hope someone can help me with my other question.. [&o]
Old 01-06-2005, 01:51 AM
leadfootdriver
2nd Gear Member

Megabite Jr's rule. I run the Road Race setting. Drag Race is to much for street driving. You'll understeer right into a ditch if you gas it to hard 'round corners.

It was hard to get 'em on as I remember, but you just have to muscle the axle to the mounting points. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:27 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

whats the difference between the two settings that the mega bite jr's have? i mean what changes (other then traction)?
Old 01-06-2005, 03:44 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

don't worry about those bushings, they will be just fine.
and the two different positions just allow you to adjust them for more or less bite depending upon the starting line traction.
if I remember right when I changed mine out I put the car high up on jack stands on the subrames and also put tall stands under both sides of the rear end too. remove the wheel on the side you are working on only. then use the jack under the control arm and remove the bolt in the back after loosening the shock to slowly let the arm down to remove the spring. once the spring is out, remove the front bolt on the old arm. put the new arm in with the front bolt first, then place the spring in place and slowly jack the arm up until you can align the rear bolt holes and throw the bolt in. just be careful not to jack up the car instead of the arm and get it off the jackstands when you do this part. then attached the shock and you're done. I do hope you used plenty of the supplied grease on the bushings when you installed them too or they can squeak on you big time.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:02 PM
leadfootdriver
2nd Gear Member

In the instructions, they talk at length about how they don't promote using greese fittings, as the types of grease available isn't good enough to last. [&:]

This is crap. Do you really wanna' go through breaking down your lowers every they need to be greased? I put in zerk fittings, and used a synthetic grease, and I couldn't be happier. Mine squeked big time before hand. Put in some grease fittings now while you're under there messing with it. They're cheap, and pretty easy to install.

$.02