5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

READ THIS BEFORE ADDING LUCAS ADDITIVES!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 02:54 AM
Panty_Peeler
I ♥ Acer

Default READ THIS BEFORE ADDING LUCAS ADDITIVES!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

This stuff much like everything else on the market is crap heres your proof and what its doing in there!
Old 01-06-2005, 03:54 AM
91LXstanger
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: READ THIS BEFORE ADDING LUCAS ADDITIVES!

great site bro...thanx!
Old 01-06-2005, 03:56 AM
Panty_Peeler
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 91LXstanger

great site bro...thanx!

No problem just looking out.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:06 AM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

That REALLY bothers me because I use lucas in my stang every time I change oil[:@]. Guess I won't be any more!! Thankyou also for the heads up[sm=thanx.gif].
Old 01-06-2005, 04:10 AM
Panty_Peeler
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: BlueDemon

That REALLY bothers me because I use lucas in my stang every time I change oil[:@]. Guess I won't be any more!! Thankyou also for the heads up[sm=thanx.gif].

No problem man!

This is what they refer to as snake oil.Its nothing but a marketing gimic aimed at making money.As you see it traps and holds air defeating the purpose of your oil.Very good reading i thought.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:13 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

One quick note though. The first test was using full synthetic oil, he was using the Lucas full petroleum additive, they have a special additive that is meant for synthetic oil. He just mixed synthetic oil with petroleum oil. Just a quick observation.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:12 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

guess that stuff aint that great... never was sure about it, what do ya'll think about the fuel additive, and maybe the stuff for transmissions though....?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:33 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

My Dad would swear about it, but I keep teling him...if you need additive to solve any problem then you need to get it fixed right. My old ranger ticked a lot...we tried some Lucas...made it not better so to speak..put just a grade thicker oil in it...tick went away...
Old 01-06-2005, 01:36 PM
85mustangGT
1st Gear Member

i dont know about that oil stabilizer, but i know a person who used lucas trans fluid stuff in a blown tranny. had no 3rd or 4th gear and would slip constantly and after he put it in it didnt slip at all for like 2 weeks. i use the power streering additive and it stoped the leak so far and its been like 3 months. but i cant argue with that the oil guys results. i would never put anything like that in my engine.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:55 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I looked at the article and also the home page to find out the credentials of this guy and cannot find any so I would take most of what he said with a dose of skepticism. All good motor and gear oils are formulated with a variety of additive packages to allow the base oil, be it petroleum based mineral oils or pure synthentic based oils, to perform the lubrication work required in the service for which they were designed to be used and provide long service life between change intervals. His little test rig was interesting but most automotive gears are either hypoid or helical cut gears, and they carry the lubrication oil differently than the straight cut gears he used in his rig. Personally, I don't think additive companies like Lucas would still be in business unless their products did at least some of the things they claim to do or the thousands of professional fleet mechanics and racing crew chiefs would not still be customers of their product. I don't agree with coming on here and blasting a company's reputation based on the single opinion of a so-called expert without some more substantial information than what was presented here and some knowledge of the professional credentials of the person making the claims.

Quick Reply: READ THIS BEFORE ADDING LUCAS ADDITIVES!