5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

LCAs ...going out of my freakin' mind!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 05:19 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

Default LCAs ...going out of my freakin' mind!!!!

so i changed the passenger side thursday, everything went smooth except a bolt that was stuck, took a couple hours of spraying, heating and banging to get it out ....so yesterday i went to do the driver side, the bolt on the axle end went out nicely, but the one in the tq box just won't budge... AT ALL! ...the nut is off, but no matter how many times i spray it, heat it and bang it (did this for like 5 hours!!! on the same damn bolt!!!) it just won't come out!!! i'm this close <---> from driving a sledgehammer through the door and setting the car on fire... anybody can give a brutha some tips!? ARRRGHGHHGHG!!!!! *rips hair out*
Old 06-16-2007, 05:23 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: LCAs ...going out of my freakin' mind!!!!

are you heating the bolt? heating the bolt would defeat the purpose of using heat.
heat the torque box.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:35 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

i've tried heating everywhere with a propane torch, for like at least 5 minutes in each different spot ....if the one on the passenger was any indication of how this one might be stuck, it's the sleeve inside the bushing that's completely jammed solid on the bolt. i've burned off enough of the bushing to see the sleeve and i heated it for like 10 minutes straight... no go. i thought maybe the penetrating spray was crap (seafoam's deep creep) so i went out and got some PB blaster AND a bigger muthaf*cking hammer, but nothing... i think i'm gonna go cry now. the only i can think of is to wait for monday and either get it towed to a garage and have them deal with it, or call up one of those mobile welding guys and have him cut through the bolt with a torch.... unless someone has a solution.

i've dealt with alot of stuck bolts/parts before, but this is like a bad joke.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:38 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Yeah, definitely heat around the bolt
Old 06-16-2007, 05:43 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

propane torch is the first problem, they dont get nearly hot enough to expand anything, but like you said, its the rubber that has actually grabbed onto the bolt.

at this point, one of those mobile welder guys is your best bet, before you lose a finger whackin the bolt.
much cheaper than towing to a garage to pay an hours labor.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:46 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Have you ever tried that new freeze stuff at autozone, says it suppose to freeze it and and then you can pop it with a hemmer and get it loose. Might shrink the bushing or bolt just enough. Worth a shot.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:54 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

i'm trying to find info on that but i can't seem to find anything ....anyone know the name of that stuff? at this point i'm willing to try anything.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:57 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Martin, which end of the c/a is the one that is stuck, front or rear? How much axcess do you have to get at it? Can you get enough of the bushing away that you can clamp a pair of vice grips on the sleeve and then hit the bolt w/ an impact gun? Which brings me to my next question. Are air tools available to you?
Old 06-16-2007, 06:01 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

I looked on their site but they did not show the freeze stuff. I was there yesterday and was looking at it.

can't spell today, or any day for that fact.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:03 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

Martin, which end of the c/a is the one that is stuck, front or rear? How much axcess do you have to get at it? Can you get enough of the bushing away that you can clamp a pair of vice grips on the sleeve and then hit the bolt w/ an impact gun? Which brings me to my next question. Are air tools available to you?
the one in the tq box... access is hummm the size of the tq box [:'(] and on the other side there's a nice big muffler. no air tools, i did melt away a big part of the bushings to get to the sleeve, but still no progress.[&o]

Quick Reply: LCAs ...going out of my freakin' mind!!!!