5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

DRAG RACING ??? PLEASE ADVISE

Old 01-07-2005, 02:12 AM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: DRAG RACING ??? PLEASE ADVISE

any other suggestions/advice?
Old 01-07-2005, 03:30 AM
Mustangous
2nd Gear Member

when its green....you GO..lol
Old 01-07-2005, 03:51 AM
Justanother5.0
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustangous

when its 3rd yellow you go!
Old 01-07-2005, 04:21 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Have fun and be careful.. Ease into it... Good advice guys!!!
Old 01-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Justanother5.0

ORIGINAL: Mustangous

when its 3rd yellow you go!
Yeah I made the mistake of waiting for the green first time I went, cost me like .5 seconds.

Lol, 5,000 rpm launch and your goign down in a shower of peices.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:02 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

well Dan I would go easy with letting too much air out of the tires at first as you would much rather have them slip some than grab all at once and snap an axle or something. try 24 psi or so if they're street rated tires and keep the launch rpms down kinda low until you get a feel for how the tires are doing traction wise. then you might go down some on the pressure or up on the launch rpms but don't change both of them at the same time as you might go too far and get more traction than the weak link can handle and then you're screwed. also no big need to burn the hell out of the tires during the burnout either, just get them cleaned off good and get off the brakes and let it roll out of the box while backing out of the throttle kinda easy like so they don't grab all of a sudden as they stop spinning. shock loads is what breaks stuff, so try to keep them to a minimum or you might find yourself faced with walking home!
and dumping the clutch as soon as you see the last yellow is the best way to cut a decent light but I wouldn't worry about my reaction times right now, concentrate on getting a nice smooth launch off the line for now so you don't break nothing.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Mustangous
2nd Gear Member

yeah... dont orry about reaction time...You can sit at the light all day the the et counter dont start until the car moves...So dont feel like you have to catch a good light to get a good et.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

I thought RT counts towards ET???????
Old 01-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Mustangous
2nd Gear Member

nope...then that would mean that if you had a 1.0 light that your ET would be a half a second slower than what is could be because a .500 light is perfect.

heres an example, If you dial in at 13.0 and your racing someone next to you who dialed in at 13.0 too. You run a 13.0 and he runs a 13.1. Then your et is a tenth faster then his, but he cut a .500 light and you cut a .610 light, he won because he got to the end .01 before you did.
This is only for time trials... If you run Test and tune its just go and see whats the best time. But this is just an example.

Its confusion but thats how it is. it makes sence. Its testing how fast your car is not you. The reaction time is testing you as a driver.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Stinger
4th Gear Member

Ok i disagree with most of you.. Stock axles can hold alot!! Unless you putting down over 400 Ft pounds of tq you will be ok. I looked at the stuff you have and you didnt mention any aftermarket heads? I launch at 5k and no problems. But the problem is gonna be what tires you are using for sure and how much Power your car is making. 3k should be where you start. Have a buddy watch to see if you hooking up or slipping. Only way your axle gonna break i think is if the car has been raced since early 90s and been abused.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DRAG RACING ??? PLEASE ADVISE