5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Convertible top problem - Picture included

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 08:44 PM
immr.mustang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Convertible top problem - Picture included

looking at it again, if it is indeed impropper installation, the top would need to be taken loose from the front, and slid back about 4 inches, i just cant see them having that much material folded under at the header.they would have had to cut it, and if that is the case, then it will have to be replaced, or go to option #2.............and the more i think of it, the bows in the middle have to be run through the top, and this only alows about 2 inches of movement front to rear, so, i think this was a bad(cheap) top, or improper install, or a bit of both maybe.\
the top may have had a lot of extra material front and rear(to be trimmed by installer), and the installer impropperly atatched it to the front first, and then it was already glued/ stapled and would not be presentable after taken back loose to try to repair, and just said screw it, and wentahead with the install anyway..........
I hope I am wrong, and the frame has some adjustment that i am not aware of to lift the top itself up more.....
oh try this.... open the door, roll the window up all the way and mark it
close the door(window down obviously) and roll it up again to see if it is indeed going all the way up, if not, it may be adjustment in the frame. i know that sounds weird, but mine did have a similar problem after i replaced my frame & top. my window was hitting the weather stripping too high to actually seal, and you could see the window being pushed outward. there are all kind of adjustment points on the frame, so i would definitly plan on spending some time when you do start to adjust this. good luck.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:51 PM
mcbitchman

I've got a similar problem and can't seem to find an answer either. My side rails are sagging after a new top was put on it.. I can't seem to find out how to adjust it. HELP