5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Starter help *UPDATED*

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:20 AM
85 Stang
1st Gear Member

Default Starter help *UPDATED*

Ive posted a few post before this about my starter breaking and ive been going through everything I can think of which could be causing the problem. I was wondering do you have to put a different starter on a 351w. Or is it all the same....I got a 351w and T5 tranny and when I bought the starter I used the refrence from a 85 Mustang which seems to line up and this is what I used before I had this problem. I dont know the exact years of everything so I dont know what to look for.

I rebuilt the motor in Jan. and installed it and ever since then Ive been breaking starters left and right. Sometimes theyll last for a month or for a day. The 2 mounts on the starter keep breaking off from which it looks like to much tension on the starter. Ive put the starter in straight and flush, didnt over tighten the bolt or undertighten, ive made sure there wasnt anything in the housing to block it and Ive checked to see if it wiggles. Ive found nothing, Ive also tightened my clutch cable hoping this would be it. Ive also checked the flywheel and there isnt damage to it but only small wear from the previous starters. Also the flywheel isnt loose or anything nor is the housing to motor. Also could my compression be to high for the starter which I doubt 10.5:1....

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated. I really need this fixed because im in a financial sit. and need to sell her.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:59 PM
85 Stang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Starter help

[sm=smiley19.gif][sm=smiley19.gif][sm=smiley19.gif][sm=smiley19.gif][sm=smiley19.gif]
Old 06-19-2007, 09:06 PM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

does the starter quit working or does the housing break?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:23 PM
85 Stang
1st Gear Member

The mounts so it can mount into the housing actually crack and break off.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

With all them starters i dont think thats the problem. Youve been breaking too many. No grinding?

Check your flywheel for any warping. Maybe (just maybe) its warped just enough that the starters gear gets cocked, in turn shifting the stater just enough that in time the mounts break??? Just a thought. Or you really are overtightening the bolts and just dont know it. Stuff wont always crack right away.

I dont see what else could be doing it. Usually when something cracks its too tight or was pushed to far in any given direction. Get a 351 starter and see what happens.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:54 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

You, my friend... need a starter saver
Old 06-20-2007, 12:26 AM
85 Stang
1st Gear Member

Well the only time it grinds is when it breaks. Other then that it sounds fine when I go to start it. Also what year should I look for, for the 351? Out of a truck?

What this starter saver you talk of?
Old 06-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 85 Stang

Well the only time it grinds is when it breaks.
Then something is not lined up properly or bent. Check everything even if you think its ok.

I can only think of these:

The bell was damaged somehow and puts stress on the bolts and when the starter engages its twisted enough to break the mounts?

The flywheel and starter are not lined up, unless the stater isnt disengaging. Which is the grinding you hear. With so many broken starters id have to say something is not lined up?

Youre using a manual flywheel with an auto starter or vice versa? I believe there are 164 tooth flys and 157 both 50oz autos. There is also a 164 28oz auto. Dont know about manual. Maybe you got the wrong one in there?

You keep getting the wrong starter? Im not aware of a 5.0/5.8 starter being any different. Never know tho.

You need shims?

I have no idea. Was hoping somebody would have a fix for you by now.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:54 PM
85 Stang
1st Gear Member

Well the inspection plate? or what ever goe between the housing and motor is slightly bent from the install but I thought with the starter in and the 2 bolts it would have enough pressure to bend straight. Also is there a way to check on the starters?

Also for things not being lined up, what could be not lined up? Could my motor be sitting to low? A friend threw out to me maybe with the swap and aftermarket motor mounts maybe I have the motor sittin to low which would cause an odd angle? Because If I remember right verticle slots on the frame for the mounts to slide in.

I also wanna apologize for all the questions and thank everybody whos replied.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:32 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Dont see how the inspection plate would be a problem. Go ahead and take it out and straighten it if itll make you feel better. Dont see the motor being too low either or im sure youd have other problems.

I did some searching and ended up in some truck forum, the topic was a 351W. They mentioned the 351W has 2 different starters depending on what trans you have. One has a short nose cone (for manual) and another has a long nose cone (for auto). If its not matched, the long cone can rub the flywheel even when its disengaged. But i dont know how much rubbing there is or how much truth there is to it as ive never dealt with a 351 before.

'Maybe' you have a long cone starter and its rubbing the flywheel long enough to crack the starter? if so, im sure a warped flywheel will just make things worse. I didnt pay attention to the site name but they never mentioned breaking starters.

Aside from my previous post, im pretty much stuck as you are if none of this fixes anything.

Quick Reply: Starter help *UPDATED*