5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Question about transmission / shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:30 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default Question about transmission / shifting

As you probably know, Ford got cheap on us many years back and decided that, in order to save money replacing transmissions that broke while still under warranty, they decided to make the car "weaker" so that the tranny was less likely to break.

They did this by retarding the timing between shifts, therefore causing the car to make less power and put less stress on the transmission.

I know I can eliminate this timing retar
d by making some adjustments. But has anyone here actually done this before?

I had a few questions about it. First, I was wondering if it made a difference that was actualyl noticable. Second, i was wondering if it was going to absolutely kill the transmission if I altered it.

Anyone messed with this before?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:39 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Question about transmission / shifting

Or am I the only SN95 guy screwing around with the tip-in retard? Last thing I wannd do is blow the tranny to hell
Old 06-21-2007, 01:01 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Final shameless bump. Then I guess I'll just eliminate it and see how the tranny likes it, lol. It is rebuilt anyway.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:15 AM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

lol...im probably with mostly everyone here when i say that ive never heard of that. try asking adder.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:34 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Your car is a victim of it too Ford figured they could save money and not have to replace trannys (or make them stronger) if they made it so that the torque was reduced between shifts. In my opinion, it makes the tranny shift slow and sloppy. And it definitely cost's time at the tracks.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:36 AM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

if you do decide to do it pm me and tell me how it goes.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:06 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Less power between shifts? You talking about slip? All autos have some factory slip built into them. Its there to make for a smoother shift which is great for a luxury car where most autos are found. Not good for overall performance or trans life. By the time an auto shifts its been slipping for maybe 1-2 seconds before you actually feel it hit the next gear. Sad aint it?

As for the timing retard i dont see how it would allow a trans to live any longer. Thats what a shift kit is for. I thought that retarding the timing simply allows a lower octane to be used but would also kill engine performance just as much as too much timing. Youd still have slip in the trans.

A manual has torque loss between gears to. Its what throws you back into the seat once you shift, the torque is back.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:08 AM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

wait...i have a T5. samseed, were you originally talking about an auto??
Old 06-21-2007, 02:21 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blckstng93

Less power between shifts? You talking about slip? All autos have some factory slip built into them. Its there to make for a smoother shift which is great for a luxury car where most autos are found. Not good for overall performance or trans life. By the time an auto shifts its been slipping for maybe 1-2 seconds before you actually feel it hit the next gear. Sad aint it?

As for the timing retard i dont see how it would allow a trans to live any longer. Thats what a shift kit is for. I thought that retarding the timing simply allows a lower octane to be used but would also kill engine performance just as much as too much timing. Youd still have slip in the trans.

A manual has torque loss between gears to. Its what throws you back into the seat once you shift, the torque is back.
Exactly. The timing retard between shifts kills performance for a split second each time a gear is shifted. Engines

As far as allowing lower octane to be used. That is true but in a situation like this it wouldn't matter. This only occurrs betwen shifts, which like you said, doesn't take very long to occur.

It does smooth out the shift (which you don't want in a Mustang anyway) but it also reduces performance. And they figure that the less tq / hp you have on the tranny, the longer it will last. Looking at my computer, I see that it's set to 5 degrees. That means that for that split second between shifts, thats what it can pull my timing back to. And it certainly feels that way when at WOT. I think I just may change it to match my base spark tables so that there is no retard in timing. Then I'll see if I feel any difference. I just hope it doesn't cause too many problems, lol.

To answer your question 945LSTANG: Yes, I'm talking about an auto, but I'm nearly 100% sure this applies to standards as well.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:39 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

the faster an auto tranny shifts the better, less wear, friction, and heat.

Quick Reply: Question about transmission / shifting