5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ignition problem, need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 05:09 PM
firedawg

Default ignition problem, need help!!!

my 91 cut off about 2 months ago while i was driving it. i realized that it is not creating a spark the whole time while it is trying to turn over. it only sparks the last time before you retard the key. i have replaced the ignition switch, coil, distributor (with a MSD) that came with a new ignition modual, and even starter solinoid. right before it stopped i had the starter replaced with a race starter, and a 130 amp alternator, and it ran great. i need help to get it running again.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:39 PM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: ignition problem, need help!!!

Make sure you check all your ground connections from the battery going out to the car.If you had the starter and alt replaced and upgraded before it happened that is where I would start.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:05 AM
firedawg

do you think that one of those grounds would cause it not to spark while you are starting it, and spark when you let go of the key? also the battery has been moved to the trunk. does that change things?
Old 01-09-2005, 12:38 AM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

I would check the solenoid and make sure one of the connections aren't off or broke.I would check grounds in that area and make sure nothing is wrong there.If that area was messed with during the alt. upgrade.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:42 AM
firedawg

i put a new soliniod on during this problem and didn't see anything out of line.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:46 AM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

I would double check everything there and with the starter and alternator.Sounds like you are loosing power or ground.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:00 PM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

Have you tried pulling any codes. I'm wondering if you're getting the code that says it's not receiving a signal from the distributor stator. Sounds like it could the the ignition module in the distributor (TFI Thin Film Ignition module). These are known to exhibit sudden failure resulting in a no spark condition. The spark when you turn the key off could be the result of the coil field collapsing as the power is removed.

Good luck........
Old 01-10-2005, 03:39 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

the current flow to the ignition when the key is in the START position is different from when it is in the RUN position, so I would start checking the wiring to see if you knocked something loose when you were doing the other work. one way to prove this is to run a jumper wire directly from a battery to the + side of the coil and then try the starter. if it fires up and runs, then you definitely have a breakdown somewhere between the ignition switch and the coil terminal when the key in in START. if the motor won't run at all or dies when you remove this jumper wire, then the problem is somewhere else like the distributor or ignition module instead.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:24 AM
firedawg

i tryed to pull codes ,with the blinking type, but the computer wouldn't run any. i think that that might be my problem. computer bad=not getting spark.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:28 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

fords are NOTORIOUS for having a bad ground somehwere.....

Quick Reply: ignition problem, need help!!!