5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

hating my electric fan!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:03 AM
pete97GT
1st Gear Member

Default hating my electric fan!

got an electric fan a while ago, its a 17" hayden. it cools ok i guess, doesnt pull that much air but i have an aluminum raditor so i figured it would be ok. After hours of messing around with the control unit i finally put a diode on the motor (which it did not come with) and that finally made my fan work properly. But just after a few hours of driving my battery light went on and my voltage dropped. Took off the alternator and tested it at Kragen and itturend outbad! Before i put the fan on my charging sustem worked without a flaw. I know that you have to get a 130 amp alt for a fan upgrade but this fan only pulls 20amp!So i went to the junk yard got a 130 apm alternator out of a 95 mustang, tested it too and it turned out good. I followed one of the tech articles on this cite and hooked it up. And still it is not charging the battery! my car actually died today because it was running completely of the battery. So my question is: what else could have the fan burned up aside from the alternator??? anyone with the same conversion please help me out on this, I know my alt is good and my battery is good. Any thoughtts or tips on this would help me out a lot. I followed the directions on how to do the 3g swap to a t. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 06-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Default RE: hating my electric fan!

Hmm, I don't know how much help I can be but I'm having fan problems myself. I got a 16 inch fan, after removing the old fan and shroud, I mounted it on the engine side of the radiator. I grounded it, then ran the hot wire through the firewall and into the fusebox. I tied it into the fuse with cruise control, trunk latch, and somthin else that I forget. After running the car for a while, I thought it was cool. I let the car sit for a bit, then when i went for another drive my fan quit working on me. It sure smelled like it was overheating and it was hot as hell. I ended up pulling the fan out because it wasnt working. When i bench tested it, it worked fine? WTF!Now i decided to mount it on the front side of the radiator. It 'seemed' to have worked in the sense that it was still running when I came home, only this time the car was running hotter than normal because the fan wasnt cooling properly. Its not a question of which way the fan blows because I made sure I switched that around. And also, after the fan died on my the first time(thought it was fried) the circuits that it was running off the fuse box with(cruise, trunk lid, etc) dont work....? Oh god what's wrong. Any tips on what I should do. Is this a junky *** fan, should i get one of those Tuarus fans and just run with that? Can that withstand the heat on the engine side of the radiator?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Pony 5.0
2nd Gear Member

If it's a Fox, you may have blown your fusible links.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:11 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

how big is the battery?

im gettin a 130 amp and also gettin a much bigger battery
Old 06-21-2007, 11:16 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Pony 5.0

good call.

there are 2-3 fuseable links that are part of the charging system. you must find them all and test them.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:55 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: Pony 5.0

good call.

there are 2-3 fuseable links that are part of the charging system. you must find them all and test them.
even if you see 12volts, a partially blown link will not allow sufficient amps through it. Id reccomend the wiring be upgraded to 4ga with an inline fuse.
130 amps can cause your car to burn down using those thin wires.[:'(] Ive seen it happen a few times

Old 06-21-2007, 11:59 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Old 06-21-2007, 12:08 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

thats one way to wire in a Fan.

However, I have a custom switch with inline Mega Fuse, that helps eliminate issues to other circuits, shall a failure arise.

If you dont like a switch, a relay will work the same way..
Old 06-21-2007, 02:51 PM
blwn93gt
3rd Gear Member

wiring the fan up with a relay is definately the wise choice.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:47 PM
89GTdude
1st Gear Member

I just installed a tauras fan on my car they blow over 4000cfms on high, but to hook it up I went to autozone and bought a aftermarket thermostat housing that was tapped for a factory style temp sensor out of a taurasfor 7 bucks then just wired that to the fan with a relay and 40amp fuse link. I also wired to the ignition so it will turn off when the key is off and it turns on at 180*. My brother has had his car hooked up like this for about 5 years with no troubles.

Quick Reply: hating my electric fan!