5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fuel injection infection

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Silver88T
1st Gear Member

Default fuel injection infection

[:@]I have a pretty heavily modded 347 stroker with 48# inj and aC&L 80mm maf and i just realized that the mass air meter is cal to 42# injectors i remember asking the guy when i bought this thing if it would work with my injectors and he said yes, do you think he ment yes after i get a tune or what....[sm=chairshot.gif] i cant even get my car to start and i got the timing right on 10 degrees for some reason its not even burping or making any kinds of noise indication gas is being burnt, i mean i dont even smell the unburnt fuel but when i turn my fuel pump on and lift up the fuel rail it sprays an assload of gas out... so i tried spraying some starter fluid in thereto see if that would ignite and it does but thats the only thing igniting, it seems to be a air fuel ratio or something isnt working righ tor my injectors arnt opening at the right time or whatever,I dunno what to do right now im pretty lost i honestly dont ahve the money to buy a tuner or get a dyno and a chip burned right now but if thats my only choice then... i guess ill have to save it up, anyone got ne input? i know i can go buy the 42# injectors and sell my 48# inj but wtf this guy said it was gonna work sorry for the long post guys but this is frustrating
[sm=feedback.gif]
Old 06-23-2007, 03:56 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: fuel injection infection

technically it should still run, even though it would be like crap. the car doesn't fire at all? no pops, no nothing? have you checked for spark at the plugs?
Old 06-23-2007, 04:03 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

I'm not sure if it would run, but I need a lot more info that what he has provided. If you get 48# injectors and try to match the MAF without a tune, that means that the MAF has to be calibrated for the same injector size so that it can properly trick the computer into supplying the right amount of fuel.

If he has larger injectors and a smaller MAF, then the computer is going to supply fuel assuming that he has smaller injectors because that is what the MAF is telling it to do (basically... it's a bit more complicated but that's a general idea.) So he is going to be running extremely rich because the PW is metered for much smaller injectors. (agan, not quite true, but for simplicity's sake this is how it works.)

Either way, he will be running EXTREMELY rich and it more than likely would flood, foul the plugs, or just plai not run.

The MAF will work fine, but one of two things would need to happen. Either buy the C&L calibration tube for 48# injectors, or get a tune and get it done right so that the ecu knows how much air is really flowing in as well as what size injectors you have.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Silver88T
1st Gear Member

C&L doesnt make a tube for 48# injectors and with a 42# calibration tube how extremely off would it be that the car doesnt even try to make explosions? and yes i checked the spark plugs they are firing great in fact one knocked me on my *** because my buddy thought ited be funny to hit my starter button as i held the plug
Old 06-23-2007, 05:00 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

You have a 347, a 9 PSI supercharger, ported edelrock heads, 48# injectors, a MAF calibrated to 42#, plus who knows what else. You have no chip or tune in any way, shape, or form. And you're surprised that it won't start and run?

Let's just say that by some miracle, you were able to get it to run... Well then what? Are you going to drive it around while it runs so pig rich that raw fuel dumps out the exhaust? You are long apst the point where this thing needed a tune to work properly. You're going to end up doing some serious damage if you keep this up.

Luckily, you bought a 42# MAF and not a mismatched 60# MAF, because then you would have went lean and grenaded your engine.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:01 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Are they wet?
Old 06-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Silver88T
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

You have a 347, a 9 PSI supercharger, ported edelrock heads, 48# injectors, a MAF calibrated to 42#, plus who knows what else. You have no chip or tune in any way, shape, or form. And you're surprised that it won't start and run?

Let's just say that by some miracle, you were able to get it to run... Well then what? Are you going to drive it around while it runs so pig rich that raw fuel dumps out the exhaust? You are long apst the point where this thing needed a tune to work properly. You're going to end up doing some serious damage if you keep this up.

Luckily, you bought a 42# MAF and not a mismatched 60# MAF, because then you would have went lean and grenaded your engine.
dude this is my first car ever, i built this thing with only the help of these forums by myself i started when i was 17 andim 22now and ive been in college the last 4 years about 3 hrs drive away from my car i dont have a garage or every special tool and im not a mechanic just a manufacturing engineer give me some damn credit that was my original question was if i need a tune or not so no need to getsnappy
im just trying to figure out what my next step is and appearently its getting a tune