5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

DR Qs

Old 01-09-2005, 10:27 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

Default DR Qs

Ever since I added the juice, I am getting absolutely no traction in 1st or 2nd. Of course, this only happens when the system is on. Anyways, I am thinking of getting some type of drag radial, but I'm not sure which ones to go with. I am strongly considering the Nitto's as I hear they get good mileage. But the only tire they produce for the 15" rim is a 275. With as low as my car is, I really don't think I can cram a 275 under the rear without bangin on the inner fender and possibly rolling the lip. I want to stay from both of those if at all possible.
I think that a 265 would be about perfect, but I can't seem to find a 265 in the 15" rim size. Anyone have any recommendations/suggestions? Remember, mileage of the tire does play a small factor in my decision. I don't drive the car much at all (approx 11,000 miles in 2 1/2 years), but track trips will certainly shorten the life span of the tire too.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:17 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: DR Qs

you probably need to change the wheels and their offset and backspacing to get the largest tire you can under there since you lowered the car like you did. best advice I have is go to the best local high performance tire shop in your area and talk to them about what you want to do to get a bigger rear tire on there as they do this for a living and probably already know what will and will not fit correctly. and you also probably need some traction mods like control arms and such to get any traction while on the bottle too. most guys I know don't use the gas in 1st gear at the hit anyway, they bring it on after they get into second gear or even later so they don't bust the tires loose and just spin.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:25 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

Default RE: DR Qs

I plan on getting a BMN window switch with first gear lockout before I head to the track. And I also plan to get some control arms before too long. I've got a tire connection here in town, so I think I might go by there and have them mount up a couple different sets and see what rubs. I truly think that a 265 would be fine, even with the current wheels. I could settle for a 255 but I prefer no to.

Search this Thread