5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

belt size for excluding ac and air pump??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default belt size for excluding ac and air pump??

Hello, once I found this nice chart that showed all the belt sizes for my Mustang with different set ups like with different pulleys, with and without the a/c, etc. and that is where I found the belt size I need.

I'm not sure if any of you know where I can find a chart like that, but let's say right now my belt size is 060888, meaning 6-ribs and 888 something is the length, don't know what units 888 is in, but I know that is the length. That is with the a/c and everything, but with aftermarket pulleys, i think just underdrive pulleys. If I want to exclude my a/c, which has a bad clutch anyhow, and the smog pump, any clue what size belt I need?

Also, would that be safe? It looks like the water pump pulley and the tensioner might get pretty close if I do that, is it safe??

Here is an example of what I want to do, the diagram isn't drawn to scale so it's actually not THAT close, but it is pretty close, has anyone done this before and know if it'll work safely? Roundman said he has, but I'm not sure if he said it was safe like this without modification or not...

[IMG]local://upfiles/9197/FED5C48F4F8E449DAFA06E460CA1CA50.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-09-2005, 11:56 PM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: belt size for excluding ac and air pump??

Im looking at a kit that i will be getting it has underdrive pullies it bypasses the smog pump and ac delete kit, and it comes with a belt so i will be sure to take it to a parts store to get a spare as soon as i get it. i would iether use a piece of rope to measure it or if you could get it to a parts store try some belts to get what you need. You might need to modify a bracket i dont know.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:24 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

best bet is to take all the stuff of out front of a parts store and try the belts there make sure its really hard to get on so that the tensioner wont hit the belt when it stretches
Old 01-10-2005, 02:34 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

i know dbeck had to drill another hole for his tensioner to mount in so that he could run the belt without the smog pump. could ask him for the details
Old 01-10-2005, 02:41 AM
leadfootdriver
2nd Gear Member

Here's a cool link.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...lt/index.shtml
Old 01-10-2005, 04:24 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys, using that pic from lead's link, I made my own little drawing of what I want to do. I don't need the brackets because I don't really care about taking out these components to save weight, I'm not drag racing it, just trying to free up some power where it isn't needed. I know in the drawing the belt looks like it's touching itself at the water pump pulley, but the diagram isn't exactly drawn to scale and it's not actually THAT close in real life, but it's similar in orientation, so please tell me if you have seen anyone do it like this:

[IMG]local://upfiles/9197/A80E78504AF64222906CEC946C2C0D40.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-10-2005, 02:51 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I did mine that way for a while until I got rid of the power steering pump and I had to drill a new hole for the dowel pin on the back of the belt tensioner so I could rotate it counterclockwise about 1/2" so it didn't push the belt down where it would rub on itself at the water pump pulley. I also had to get a shorter belt that that one and drill another hole for the top bolt on the alternator also so it could swing in just a bit in order to get the belt installed too. over that long of a span, the belt can whip up and down and it will hit itself at the water pump unless you do some mods to open up the clearance just a tad, you need about 3/8" inch clearance with the engine off to make what you want to do work OK IF YOU HAVE THE UNDERDRIVE PULLEYS as this is what makes the water pump pulley larger where it could hit the belt. don't know if this is a problem with the stock pulleys as I never tried it when I still had the stock pulleys on there.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:17 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Ok, so you said when you eliminated the power steering, you had to modify the tensioner, but before that, when you had it the way I have it, did you need to modify anything? I am not planning on eliminating the power steering as this is an everyday driving car. But the way I have it in the diagram eliminating the a/c and the smog pump, is it safe to just get a shorter belt and then keep everything stock or would I need to modify anything with the tensioner or the alternator like you mentioned?
Old 01-11-2005, 12:37 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Just bumping this up, still need an answer before I start measuring and buying the new belt...

Thanks!