5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

might be gettin anderson to tune car

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:16 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: might be gettin anderson to tune car

generally speaking.... if you have to ask what tuner to use,,, you have no business using one.

get a professional tune
Old 06-29-2007, 11:26 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

generally speaking.... if you have to ask what tuner to use,,, you have no business using one.

get a professional tune
Most of the time, that is the case. I always tell people that it is a steep learning curve and you have to have a good grasp of what you're doing before jumping into it. Read a lot of stuff, talk to a lot of people, and watch people actually doing it. I figure we aren't born knowing this stuff and we all have to learn somehow. And if someone is willing to have the patience and they're willing to put in the time, then they can figure it out. it's not rocket science, but it's no cakewalk either... at least not at first.

The unfortunate reality is that people want to buy a tuner and then immediately go outside and hook it up. They're ready to plug it in and start changing random settings when they don't even know what an injector high / low slope is. Then they get outside to the car and 15 minutes later they're online asking where the computer is located. [8D]

Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with wanting to learn to tune it yourself. But this isn't a playstation game that you cna just plug in and figure out without reading the manual. If you have absolutely no clue, then it's going to take a fair amount of time before you can even do simple stuff. But if you follow directions, tey spell out exactly what you need to do for the basics. And you can slowly learn from there. the resources are out there for those patient enough to learn.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:52 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

This guy here tuned his car with an Anderson PMS. From what I have heard, this is very common.

This other guy here has the same exact setup. Same engine, same gears, same mods. But he used a Tweecer RT to tune it instead instead.

Just something to think about.......

lol where do you come up with this stuff?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:55 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

I have issues[8D]
Old 06-29-2007, 11:59 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

get a professional tune
Most of the time, that is the case. I always tell people that it is a steep learning curve and you have to have a good grasp of what you're doing before jumping into it. Read a lot of stuff, talk to a lot of people, and watch people actually doing it. I figure we aren't born knowing this stuff and we all have to learn somehow. And if someone is willing to have the patience and they're willing to put in the time, then they can figure it out. it's not rocket science, but it's no cakewalk either... at least not at first.

The unfortunate reality is that people want to buy a tuner and then immediately go outside and hook it up. They're ready to plug it in and start changing random settings when they don't even know what an injector high / low slope is. Then they get outside to the car and 15 minutes later they're online asking where the computer is located. [8D]

Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with wanting to learn to tune it yourself. But this isn't a playstation game that you cna just plug in and figure out without reading the manual. If you have absolutely no clue, then it's going to take a fair amount of time before you can even do simple stuff. But if you follow directions, tey spell out exactly what you need to do for the basics. And you can slowly learn from there. the resources are out there for those patient enough to learn.
yea i agree with both of u... thats why i was so hesitant with buy a DIY tuning program... i just here the shop i was goin to go to wasnt a good idea... but when he talked to the actually tuner he found out htere are pretty good the fone guys are retarted however and make the shop sound less that a good place

Old 07-01-2007, 02:58 AM
Dubs
2nd Gear Member

Just my opinion, I want to learn how to tune myself. I'm desperatly needing a PMS, why a PMS becoz the guy that built my car recommends it and knows it like the back of his hand. I'm actually in the process now of getting it. Just waitng for it to come in. I got it for like $840.00, and of course I still have to pay for install and tune. I will ask him to show me how to tune though, I'd like to just see how it works.

With that said, I agree with AdderMK2, if you dont know what your doing, get a professional tuner to do it.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:20 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyCobraSpeed

stay away from the PMS... its a piece of ****...

get a dyno tune with an SCT bank chip
why is it a piece of ****... i heard its really ez to use and its pretty effective.... the price isnt great but the learn curve on other stuff makes me shy away

ORIGINAL: 94IVGT

ive got the PMS and its great and the drive is worth it. its a two hours drive for me but they know theyre ****. im sure theyre is gonna be an argument over the PMS vs the Tweecer in here. they both can control the car unlimited changes and tunes. the pms has a controller with a digital screen the tweecer requires a laptop. price comes out to be about the same for the PMS or the Tweecer with a laptop. i would recommend the PMS. Rick can give you the full info on the PMS if youv got more questions on it or check out the makers page at www.efisystems.com
I hear that argument all the time and it never makes any sense. I can't believe people still try to use that as an argument for buying the PMS.

Okay, so lets say that you do buy a laptop and the price comes out to be exactly the same. Are you saying that that makes it equal? What can you do with the PMS besides tune the car? Absolutely nothing. What can you do with the laptop besides tune the car? Watch movies, Burn CDs, DVDs, play music, surf the web, any countless other things. It's a stupid argument. Why would you want to pay the exact same price and get less functionality?
yea i already have a lab top newayz... i dont like hte learning curve i been hearing about... i dont mind have a labtop plugged in but u can keep the pms plugged in use the gauges it has on it... which saves u money on gauges... granted it doesnt look as good know...

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

tkae it speedys it'll be worth it. they do a good job for it being a small town.
i heard from a guy in town that speedy doesnt always do a good job and im afraid of messing something up... m friend said he knew some1... didnt give a name... but they tuned his car and something ****ed up and they wouldnt cover the cost.. said it was his fault cuz he didnt do the h/c/i rite... but he had a machanic help him out with the h/c/i so it was do correctly... i dunno im just not sure i wanna take the chance??? have u heard nethign about that?? ...

other think is when i but the s/c down the road i wanna be able to self too... i dont wanna have too keep taking to a tuner time and time again

ORIGINAL: turbostang21

ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

the pms is great and very easy to use. you wont have any problems driving it 4 hours without a tune just stay off the gas peddle.

as far as the debait over which is better, there are too many factor to decide. its all personal preference. i have the pms but if i were to buy a stand alone id buy a FAST system. the pms, tweecer, megasquirt, AEM, etc, they are all garbage compared to the FAST system and BS3
+1....save up and buyaf.a.s.t or big stuff 3 system or buya sct chip/tune. it can hold 4 tunes and drive like stock otherwise. i have seen 900+rwhp cars drive stockish using the a9l and a sct chip

btwwith your mods the worst tuner in the world shouldn't have a problem giving you a good tune
im not goin to run enough hp on this car to make fast worth while.... but i do have a h/c/i with a shot of nitrous so a tuner could **** it up pretty good... thats not im my sig i know i just havent updated recently

basically im looking for somethign i can self tune with.... i dont wanna spend a ton... bascially a pms system with the cost of a tune is about my limit... which is about a grand.... which is a lil high i know.... i have a shot of nitrous and i plan on get a turbo or supercharger pretty so... like after i get suspension done and decide for sure what i want... with in a year.....
i have heard nothing of this. who is the guy i might know him.

almost everyone around here has had there car tuned by speedys never heard of them messing up anyones car.

the only incident that has been close is from a guy that had a supercharged car. he didn't upgrade his injectors like they recommened. he hotrodded the hell out of the car and blew it up. nowhere near there fault they gave him simple advice and he didn't listen