MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   throwout bearing or everything? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/310410-throwout-bearing-or-everything.html)

91bigredgt 06-29-2007 12:58 AM

throwout bearing or everything?

ok a few weeks ago i started hearing a squeeling noise coming from the front of the car, not brake squeeling but when i let off the clutch all the way it will make the noise and if i give it the slightest bit of pressure it will stop. now ive read that this is the throwout bearing, but now it seems like ive got a bigger problem. i just bought the car in april and learned to drive it as well with no slip ups (as far as gears and the clutch) the previous owner told me that he just had a new clutch put in and he wasnt lyin but i think they didnt replace the throwout bearing cause it doesnt seem likely that the clutch would be that strong and yet the supposive new bearing is already going. recently my clutch became alittle softer and the pedal is going all the way down and clicking and there is the clutch smell every now and then. im not sure what to replace the bearing or just get the whole clutch setup

91bigredgt 06-29-2007 01:00 AM

RE: throwout bearing or everything?

sorry in advance on puncuation and stuff kinda in a rush

onetrickpony 06-29-2007 01:04 AM

When I first put my new clutch and throw out bearing in it started to make a little squeal and I was told that they will do that sometimes and that it goes away, and it did. The clutch cable might need adjusted. You have to go through alot just to replace the throw out bearing. If it were me since the tranny will be out I would just go ahead and just replace the fly wheel, clutch and throw out bearing. This way you know for sure that it is all new.

91bigredgt 06-29-2007 01:09 AM

well up until a few weeks ago that clutch was very new feeling and i hear if the bearing is going i will have major problems if it breaks. just kinda being cautious cause this is my dd and only car

keller5.0 06-29-2007 01:10 AM

Same thing happened to me when I bought my mustang. There was a new clutch in it, but the cheap assdidnt replace the throwout bearing. It sounds like you have a throwout bearing problem. If youre going to tear the car down to replace a throwout bearing, you might as well get the flywheel re-surfaced and replace the clutch. You would hate to not replace the clutch,just tofind out things still arent right after you get it all put back together.

HACKGT350 06-29-2007 01:35 AM

they are right about that if you are gunna take it out to replace the bearing. as for the pedal feel it could be that your clutch quadrant is on its way out and needs to be replaced. thats very common the stock plasic one is junk and breaks.

91bigredgt 06-29-2007 01:47 AM

i just wish there was a way to find out if the bearing is really going or if this is just the new clutch squeel that some people were saying. if it helps any the squeel isnt constant it will do it for awhile usually in 2nd or 3rd and stop for awhile and come back

HACKGT350 06-29-2007 01:50 AM

how long has it been doing this for?

iceman89gt 06-29-2007 02:18 AM

if you have to go all the way to the flywheel be sure and get a new one piece rear main gasket also.

91bigredgt 06-29-2007 02:45 AM

a few weeks as of now