5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

*Pics Added* Help, Electrical problem in the fuse block!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 04:32 PM
SweetLou

Default *Pics Added* Help, Electrical problem in the fuse block!

I think I know what its doing, but don't know they why, or where to start fixing it. Ever since I got this car, a 1993 Mustang 5.0, the fog lights have not worked, no biggie, was going to rewire them anyway.

The other day drove it home from work, the blinkers were working. Got up to go to work, the blinkers were not working, I thought I had a blown fuse. Got to work, was running the air conditioner, all was fine. Later, was on my way home, and the air would not kick on, the blower I should say. Went to auto zone, figuring i was going to need some fuses, got down there, and saw that all my fuses were fine, nothing blown. Went back to my house, pulled out the test light, and started testing everything.

The fuse block seems to now have some dead spots in it. The fog light fuse area has no electric current, as does the blower motor for the a/c fuse, and the blinker/reverse lights fuse. As for now it is parked, as I am afraid to drive it, and have something else go out.

There is a leak in the window seal i beleive, and some water may have leaked in, but as of when this started, it had not rained in quite a while, so water should not have been a cause.

Also, I should throw this in, my nephew was riding with me a while back, and stated that he had seen smoke coming from the teering wheel area whenever I turned the wheel. I didn't see anything, nor did I smell anything. I thought he may have just been seeing the air coming out of the vent due to humidity or soemthing.

Any ideas where to start?
Old 07-02-2007, 03:59 AM
SweetLou

Default RE: Help, Electrical problem in the fuse block!

Any one??? Bueller???? Bueller????
Old 07-02-2007, 04:04 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

i bet you have a wiring harness rubbing on the sterring shaft. strip off all the plastic and crawl under there with a nice bright light and a telescoping mirror.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:21 PM
SweetLou

Sweet, thanks much. Do you know if there is anything I need to be extra careful about when pulling it all apart? Also, is this a common problem?
Old 07-02-2007, 07:59 PM
NorCal5.0
1st Gear Member

I was driving my 87 5.0 2 weeks ago and i had been running the heater full blast until i can change out the water pump, and my fuse box caught fire haha... pretty sure thats not supposed to happen but the smoke from then came from around the steering wheel area and melted the heater/blower fuse, still not quite sure what cause it but im in the process of checking current flow right now...
Old 07-03-2007, 11:13 PM
SweetLou

Damn! I checked all my fuses, and they looked good. I am going to try to tear into it this weekend and see if I can't find anything. Let me know what you find, and see if I can't apply that to mine. Sounds like we may need to start carrying around a fire extinguisher with us!
Old 07-04-2007, 06:48 AM
NorCal5.0
1st Gear Member

haha... scared the crap outta me when i turned the car off and the smoke wouldnt stop...

of course my fifty isnt top notch im sure yours is alot nicer...
Old 07-04-2007, 08:21 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

There was a recall for the electrical part of the ignition switch, def check that. They also come apart sometimes allowing only partial connection that will allow the car to run but not some of the accesories. Also have a look at the fusible links under the hood.

Recall
Old 07-04-2007, 02:36 PM
SweetLou

any help on the location of the fuseable links, And after readking that recall, it is seriosutl making me wonder with the smoke and all.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:45 PM
NorCal5.0
1st Gear Member

this is what happened to me when i needed the recall

first picture is of the ignition catching on fire...
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...0704071331.jpg

and this is when the fuse block caught fire...
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...0704071332.jpg

Quick Reply: *Pics Added* Help, Electrical problem in the fuse block!