5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

engine is always hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 09:25 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: engine is always hot

go to your nearest parts store and grab one of these

spill proof radiator funnel kit

around 25$.

drain the radiator again, and refill using this.
start the engine, and let it IDLE all the way up to operating temperature. This could take up to 25 minutes.
when the thermostat opens, you will see the coolant suck down into the radiator.
at this point, refill the funnel until air stops coming up through it, place the plug in the funnel, remove the kit, and replace your radiator cap.
successfully burped.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:46 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

go to your nearest parts store and grab one of these

spill proof radiator funnel kit

around 25$.

drain the radiator again, and refill using this.
start the engine, and let it IDLE all the way up to operating temperature. This could take up to 25 minutes.
when the thermostat opens, you will see the coolant suck down into the radiator.
at this point, refill the funnel until air stops coming up through it, place the plug in the funnel, remove the kit, and replace your radiator cap.
successfully burped.
i have a self made funnel(top of milk jug cut off)... do i have to pay 25 buck for all that?? i need to drain and refill it newayz cuz it was dirty when i drain it first time i got this cleaner i was goin to use
Old 07-01-2007, 09:58 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yes, as you can see, this funnel completely seals to the radiator cap hole, via the adapters. its the only 100% sure way to not let air enter the system while filling

those rubber rings on those 2 adapters go into the rad opening, then you place the provided cap over it and seal it down, just like a regular rad cap.
then the funnel slides/seals into the adapter. 100% airproof.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:15 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

crazycobraspeed.... please learn to type. Go back and slowly read what you have typed in this thread and you'll see what I mean. Wow. I'd love to help you, but you're so hard to understand.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:51 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: capri debris

crazycobraspeed.... please learn to type. Go back and slowly read what you have typed in this thread and you'll see what I mean. Wow. I'd love to help you, but you're so hard to understand.
please point out what u dont understand and ill clearify
Old 07-01-2007, 11:12 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

all my stuff under the hood is very hot, i cant hold my hand on the top manifo\ld either! i think its the chrome shorties.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:22 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94StinkinLincoln

all my stuff under the hood is very hot, i cant hold my hand on the top manifo\ld either! i think its the chrome shorties.
i have lts... but u think its normally?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:38 PM
hostyl

Crazy cobra speed, please understand that when you overheat your engine you will possibly damage a head gasket or worse, the engine. To actually spend money on something that will not improve your horsepower but will protect yourengine is wise investment. Don't be afraid to spend $25 on the burp kit, Hell, I just bought water wetter as a last ditch effort before I will buy an Al. radiator, my car runs hot too. Oh, by the was, take your time and learn to type a complete sentence. It will help you in the future.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:49 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hostyl

Crazy cobra speed, please understand that when you overheat your engine you will possibly damage a head gasket or worse, the engine. To actually spend money on something that will not improve your horsepower but will protect yourengine is wise investment. Don't be afraid to spend $25 on the burp kit, Hell, I just bought water wetter as a last ditch effort before I will buy an Al. radiator, my car runs hot too. Oh, by the was, take your time and learn to type a complete sentence. It will help you in the future.
I am able to type in complete sentences. I, however, do not like to type in complete sentences because of the tons of teachers harassing me in all my classes on a daily basics. The language used on the internet is, while not correct grammar, understood my many. I use full sentences is proper grammar only when necessary, I do not believe a site in which people chat about mustangs is a place required to type as though they were typing a report.
ok im done with that bs.... now i do understand that heat is a killer for an engine... so i do understand the need to spend some amounts of money to protect it.... i didnt see the purpose of the kit until mattdel pointed it out... the local autozone is closed so i have to wait till tomorrow
Old 07-02-2007, 12:55 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyCobraSpeed
I am able to type in complete sentences. I, however, do not like to type in complete sentences because of the tons of teachers harassing me in all my classes on a daily basics. The language used on the internet is, while not correct grammar, understood my many. I use full sentences is proper grammar only when necessary, I do not believe a site in which people chat about mustangs (proper noun) is a place required to type as though they were typing a report.
ok im done with that bs.... now i do understand that heat is a killer for an engine... so i do understand the need to spend some amounts of money to protect it.... i didnt see the purpose of the kit until mattdel pointed it out... the local autozone is closed so i have to wait till tomorrow
I couldn't resist (and I admit that I get in a hurry and make tons of mistakes too).

That aside... Spend the $6 on a new stock sending unit for the stock gauge and see if that fixes your problem. You could have tweeked the old one when you did the H/C/I.

Quick Reply: engine is always hot