5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Belt Size

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

Default Belt Size

So...

I was driving home from work on Friday and I noticed that the steering felt off on my car. I look down and my amp light was on. I thought to myself "Great I just replaced that". Then I noticed the my engine temp was creeping up. All of a sudden my temp guage goes past the red and I can't steer the car. I finally got it parked at a hotel and as soon as I turned off the car it started to smoke and then radiator fluid came cushing out the bottem of the car (it was boiling). Somewhere down the road I lost my belt. Now since I bought this car I have no idea on the size of belt that I need. I know the previous owner did a smog pump delete. I have searched the web and found some images and explanations of what size belt I need. I just wanted to double check with you all. I have bought a belt though that I think is the right size.

I believe the i need an 84.5 belt size. That is the one I bought.

I found these images:

I notice that you don't runthe belt around that smog pump pulley to the left. Now my car still has the pulley, and I am not sure if the belt was ran around this one or not. My question is does it matter if I run the belt around that or not? I know a stock belt wont' fit, already tried it.

One more quick question, how long is to long to drive your car when it is that hot? (As much as I want my engine to stop working so I have an excuse to buy a new one. I can't really afford one at the moment.)

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 AM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Belt Size

Wrong size belt unless you have under drive pullies, I have the correct belt on my car, I would have to wait to get home and check the number, Napa was the only one I found that actually sells the correct size belt. I tried 6 or 8 belts before I had to special order the correct belt. I have regular factory pullies by thw way and no smog pump delete pully.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tmajikman

Wrong size belt unless you have under drive pullies, I have the correct belt on my car, I would have to wait to get home and check the number, Napa was the only one I found that actually sells the correct size belt. I tried 6 or 8 belts before I had to special order the correct belt. I have regular factory pullies by thw way and no smog pump delete pully.
Thanks!

The problem is I need to get a belt quickly. It's in the hotel parking lot and not sure how long before they might tow it. I could gimp it home I guess, but don't want to risk blowing up the engine with all the heat.

I have no idea if I have underdrive pullies either. I know the one around teh smog pump looks new though.

I am hoping I can find the belt on the road today on my way home from work.

I think I have some pictures of the engine before the belt came off. I will see if I can find those.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:33 AM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

It is a napa belt, Micro VAT, Belt number 25-060840 I believe it is an 84 inch belt, you caught me before I left, and I have the car here so I wrote it down. Don't take the chance and drive the car until you get the belt. Talk to the hotel and make sure thewy are cool about the car. Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:34 AM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

That is the proper routing, print it out if you can, it will help.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:36 AM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Nevermind.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:37 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

If you have a smog pump delete the factory belt is the correct one. Im not sure on the size because I havent run a factory belt in years. Not to mention my crank is undriven. I could've swore that with the A/C equipped cars it was a lot longer something like 91". Non A/C 302's were a lot shorter.
And if the crank pulley is only 3" in diameter its a UD pulley. If its like 6" then its factory, simple as that.
-P.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

If you have a smog pump delete the factory belt is the correct one. Im not sure on the size because I havent run a factory belt in years. Not to mention my crank is undriven. I could've swore that with the A/C equipped cars it was a lot longer something like 91". Non A/C 302's were a lot shorter.
And if the crank pulley is only 3" in diameter its a UD pulley. If its like 6" then its factory, simple as that.
-P.
Well the pully is 3" and not 6".

I know my A/C doesn't work, but I am pretty sure the A/C compressor is there.

The belt I got is 84.5.