5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 05:09 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default 50

I am having terrible luck. My 93 f-250 is waiting for a reman. long block i ordered. So i have been driving my stang. This morning on the way to work it cut out on me. Turned over fine but would not start. Pushed it into a parking lot and realized i was not getting spark. So i started fooling with the 6 dig plus box and the blaster coil. I tried to bypass the box and run a line from sylinoid to coil. My box started smoking, i took it apart and i had burned up a track on the circuit card. I work in electronics so i took it to work and it was only a ground track,so i was able to fix that. Go back to car at lunch, hook it all up and still no spark. I take the dist. cap off and it has way to much play, you can turn it like half-way around. I take the dizzy out and there are 6 teeth that are missing of the dist. gear. How does that happen? I put my finger in the hole and turned the moter over several times and my cam gear seems alright. I can only think of two ways this could happen.
1. Defective msd dist. (it is the right one for my 351 by the way.
2. Cam retainer not there or not tight.
I have not checked the cam retainer or checked for any play in cam shaft. My priority now is my DD(the truck). Has this happend to any one else? Any ideas what other reasons besides the 2 i stated it could be. The only good thing about this is that probably all the teeth just fell in the oil pan and hopefully they are not circulating in my engine, I think i would have known. Got it towed to the house.
Thanks
Keith

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z112/keithswearingen/?action=view¤t=c3a71cc9.pbw
Old 07-02-2007, 05:13 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 50

dont know how i came up with 50 for the subject.lol By the way it is not a bronze gear, it is the hardened steel gear.

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z112/keithswearingen/?action=view¤t=c3a71cc9.pbw
Old 07-02-2007, 05:49 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

well... i'd get a magnetic oil drain plug, and you'll know where those teeth are!
Old 07-02-2007, 06:43 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I have a magnetic oil plug. But in order for the plug to pull the teeth out it will have the catch the teeth perfectly to be able to pull out. When my truck engine comes and i install it Iam going to pull the engine and drop the oil pan and make sure i find every tooth missing. I believe if one worked into my cylinder walls i would have known so maybe they are all in the pan. But first i still have to find out what caused this and i am sick of the car right now so i probably wont even look at it for a couple of weeks.lol

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=c3a71cc9.pbw

Old 07-02-2007, 11:06 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Any ideas anyone? After i built the motor i let a machine shop take it apart and machine my 2 piece rear main into a one piece so it will be easier to change. I called the shop and they said they would look at since it has only been about 2 months. But i would rather do it myself again since i had no problems before they tore it down and put it back together.

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=c3a71cc9.pbw
Old 07-02-2007, 11:25 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

happened to my mechanics wife, she drag races a 408 chevelle, and she thought she was in 2nd, but she was in drive (auto, PRND21) and she went to shift into D, but put it into N and overreved it, and it wouldnt start, they pulled the dizzy and it had 2 teeth left...