MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Gauge cluster question (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/312481-gauge-cluster-question.html)

tankard 07-03-2007 08:09 PM

Gauge cluster question

The gauges on my gauge cluster specifically the water temp and oil pressure seem to have a mind of their own. My oil pressure is way off the indicator on the high side and my water temp seems to go higher the faster I go. When I slow down or stop it comes back to normal. I also noticed that if I am stopped and I take my foot off the brake the water temp gauge comes back to the middle. This worries/annoys me because my car is leaking a bit of coolant so I don't know if it's overheating or the cluster is just screwed up. Anybody have the same problem? I heard something about a ground wire how do I fix this problem?

An update. Basically every time i press the brake, put the windows up or down, the top up or down or any kind or electrical activity (brake light?) the gauges start moving up . When I stop doing these activities, they go down so i'm guessing it's an electrical problem?

ok so i've been doing some research .... a few hours later I came up with this answer: gauge cluster voltage regulator?? anybody know if I can buy this part from ford or do I have to swap the cluster?

stang8689 07-04-2007 11:00 AM

RE: Gauge cluster question

stock guages suck, get autometer

90mustang5.8 07-04-2007 02:10 PM

autometer FTW!

tankard 07-04-2007 07:37 PM

oh yeah great answer both of you .... how come I never thought of that????

1985stang 07-04-2007 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: tankard

oh yeah great answer both of you .... how come I never thought of that????
Haha, it is a pretty good idea.

McNasty11jm 07-05-2007 03:12 PM

yes i have that same problem....i boughta voltage regulator from www.50resto.com and it comes in today....hopefully it works

FivePointOhh 07-05-2007 03:23 PM

it will work. you need aftermarket gauges. the stock one are old and hardly work anymore, its electricle type and they run off interpretation so its either pressure or no pressure. it doesnt actually measure accurately how much psi your running. the temp gauge should be close, but again its older than dirt so its probably going out as well. just get some aftermarket gauges and call it done. you can get some gauges at autozone for 40 bucks volt, temp, and oil pressure gauges, good instructions.

McNasty11jm 07-05-2007 03:44 PM

cool thanks

daleclough 07-05-2007 11:40 PM

So I am understanding that Autometer gages (assumed to be mounted on the A-pillar) is the best (ie. most accurate) way to go.

My fuel and oil pressure gauges are possessed.

Oil pressure can be remote (ie. Autometer) but what about fuel gage?

piedraco 07-06-2007 11:24 AM

florda50.com check that out, just got mines yesterday, they are sick