5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 12:45 AM
FastFox
2nd Gear Member

Default help please!!!

okay here's the story... My cars battery went dead and wouldn't charge. so I got a new duralast gold from autozone. Then my alernator went out, I replaced that with a rebuild from autozone. Okay now when I start my car, It lopes really bad. Could it be because my battery is only about half charged? Or does my computer need to be reset? I heard that if you diconnect and reconnect the battery then the computer will reset and you have to take the car for a highway drive for it to reset properly. Is this true? Could this be my problem, because I havent taken it for the drive yet? please help, thanx!
Old 01-14-2005, 01:16 AM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: help please!!!

Ive never heard of the highway drive part but I guess you could try it. Have you driven it since installing the alternator, if not, drive it so it can charge everything back up to normal and then see how it does. If you havent already, you might disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the ECU before you take it for a drive, just for peace of mind.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:22 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Yes, once you disconnect the battery on a EECIV computer, the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) is erased. This memory stores your driving habits to speak. You need to do the relearn process which following the Ford specs is kind of hard with speed limits and traffic lights etc...Take it for at least an hour drive and it should shape up.

Also, when you erase the KAM, you erase the computers knowing of what shape your engine and O2 snesors are in, so it may recover back to what you liked it at or a lot better than it is now. Take a cruise, brotha...
Old 01-14-2005, 01:23 AM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

When the Alternator went did it burn any of the wiring?Last time mine burned up it burned out the fusible link.I cant remember how I found it or if the car ran crappy.But might be something to look at.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:07 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

when you replaced all this did you also clean the battery posts connections and make sure all the connectors were clean and tight???
are the battery cables in good condition, if not replace them.