5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

First the shakes, now it wants to melt down!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Grundy
1st Gear Member

Default RE: First the shakes, now it wants to melt down!

+1 on the harmonic ballencer. take your lower rad hose off ( try to catch most of the coolent) and jam a garden hose in the top of the rad and cranker on full blast. or take it to a shop and have your cooling system checked.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:03 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Jaguar__5

Thanks for the positive attitude, dick.
Sometimes we have to get to and from places in a timely manner, even if we have to risk some damage.
Not going to work isn't really an option, and I only recently moved to the area so I don't have anyone who would have been willing to take me to/from, and yea, I'm a noob, I already mentioned that. Seriously, if you're not going to give atleast some kind of helpful advice, keep it to yourself, its not like I WANT to destroy my car.

On a side note, I'm going to try to flush the radiator tomarrow and see if that works, might be clogged (hope not >&lt
getting to work is not worth risking your engine.

lets see... $3500 engine....vs 1 day at work....

How many days would you have to work to be able to afford to put a new motor in your car???

Still wanna drive it while overheating?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:42 PM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

I do have toagree with Capri and Adder. If your car starts to over heat it should be turned off that instant. DO NOT pass go turn it off. What part of Florida do you live in? I have a ton of friends there that might be able to take a look at it for you.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Jaguar__5

Awesome, I'm a complete dumbass for driving it, and I could come up with a thousand excuses as to why I did, but in the end they'd still be excuses, in the end, its gotta get fixed, so hopefully I can figure out something soon, that I can afford.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:14 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

shaking is more than likely the harmonic balancer...

and youve probably got a bad radiator
Old 07-06-2007, 01:27 AM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: capri debris

I can't take it anymore!!! Why in the hell do people insist on driving a car that is hot? When the low coolant light goes on or the temp. gauge goes up... turn the damn thing off!!! Not at the next exit... not till you get to a service station... not till you get home! Turn it off that second!!! Then this noob forgets the light came on the night before and drives it to work the next day. (Shakes head.) I hope you fried the whole freakin' motor for being such a dumbass. Some only learn the hard way.
Wow. Just wow. I've seen quite a few posts of yours where you are a complete a$$hole. Yea, the guy should have known better than to drive an overheating car, but did you not just read where he said he is a noob? He hints around that he has very little knowledge about cars. Yea, there ARE actually people out there who just have a car to use for commuting and not for fun. Cut the guy some slack. If he blew a head gasket or cracked a head, it'll be a bought lesson for him. Sucks, but you know sometimes that's the best way to learn.

Jag, definately get that checked. Pull your dipstick and see if you have milky looking oil, you've got bigger problems. And unfortunately, if you can't afford to have someone check it out, stop driving it no matter what. You might wind up losing more than coolant. If you think getting it checked is expensive, try paying a shop to replace the entire motor.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:32 AM
Jaguar__5

Stopped driving it after I drove to the main office I work in, my brother works there and I've been staying with him.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:18 AM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lookin4astang

ORIGINAL: capri debris

I can't take it anymore!!! Why in the hell do people insist on driving a car that is hot? When the low coolant light goes on or the temp. gauge goes up... turn the damn thing off!!! Not at the next exit... not till you get to a service station... not till you get home! Turn it off that second!!! Then this noob forgets the light came on the night before and drives it to work the next day. (Shakes head.) I hope you fried the whole freakin' motor for being such a dumbass. Some only learn the hard way.
Wow. Just wow. I've seen quite a few posts of yours where you are a complete a$$hole. Yea, the guy should have known better than to drive an overheating car, but did you not just read where he said he is a noob? He hints around that he has very little knowledge about cars. Yea, there ARE actually people out there who just have a car to use for commuting and not for fun. Cut the guy some slack. If he blew a head gasket or cracked a head, it'll be a bought lesson for him. Sucks, but you know sometimes that's the best way to learn.

Jag, definately get that checked. Pull your dipstick and see if you have milky looking oil, you've got bigger problems. And unfortunately, if you can't afford to have someone check it out, stop driving it no matter what. You might wind up losing more than coolant. If you think getting it checked is expensive, try paying a shop to replace the entire motor.
Yes, I'm blunt at times. But if ten people are sitting around a camp fire and one gets up and reaches in the fire and pulls out a handful of red hot coals... the other nine people are gonna call him a dumbass. This is exactly what I did in my above post.. I called him a dumbass for doing something that common sense tells you not to do. I don't care if he's new to cars or not, you don't keep driveing a car when it's overheating. I had a mini-bike at age 7 and it got hot and no one had to tell me to shut it off... I just knew!!! So if the person that burns his hand in a fire asks me what to do about the burn... I'll just tell him bluntly, "Don't put your hand in a hot fire next time."
Old 07-06-2007, 02:39 AM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

If you can take the car to Pompano. Call Mustang Specialties and ask to speak to Ronnie Wilson, he is an old friend of mine. He is a great guy and likes to help people out. Trust me, he will tell you exactly what the problem is.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:50 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

You want stupid? Try this...

Friend of mine once blew a rad hose and cracked a head on a 99 Taurus. Guess how he fixed it? Duct tape!!! Btw, he drove it like that for 5 miles on straight water. Needless to say the motor was toast.

Same guy, different car. Had an 80s Omni that had an engine fire. He had to replace the wiring and a few emissions lines which he did but didnt put any of the fusible links back in, used whatever gauge wire he could find, and bypassed a few things in the process, not sure what or why. Well, the 'new' harness burned up and took most of the engine bay with it.

On top of that he was working on cars for well over 10 years before i met him. Stupid? Hell yea he was. Glad as hell he never touched the stang.

Quick Reply: First the shakes, now it wants to melt down!