5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

engine bay questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 05:04 PM
BlackMagic859

Default RE: engine bay questions

After Ipulled everything out of my engine bay I sprayed Degreaser all over the engine bay and pressure washed everything out and Sprayed some rubberized undercoat from the Frame rail down and into the transmission tunnel
Old 07-06-2007, 05:10 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

yea degreaser and power washer wont take this stuff off...nooooo way. its like old sticker glue is the equivilant i can think of. and its thick and nasty. for the paint, yes the color rubs off really easy, cabernate red is the color and it rubs off with ease and it goes down to the primer after that, light grey color and then it hits metal. i'm going to smooth out the engine bay down the road, i think my gonna sand what i've done so far and just hit it with some auto primer for the time being.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:33 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Be careful with the brake cleaner, it is much stronger than carb cleaner. Be careful using brake cleaner where you would like to keep paint. I have stripped paint with it before on toolboxes,jacks and engine lifts, not trying to but just trying to get the grease build up off.

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z112/keithswearingen/?action=view¤t=c3a71cc9.pbw
Old 07-06-2007, 06:27 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

yea degreaser and power washer wont take this stuff off...nooooo way. its like old sticker glue is the equivilant i can think of. and its thick and nasty. for the paint, yes the color rubs off really easy, cabernate red is the color and it rubs off with ease and it goes down to the primer after that, light grey color and then it hits metal. i'm going to smooth out the engine bay down the road, i think my gonna sand what i've done so far and just hit it with some auto primer for the time being.
Well then it definitely sounds like some sort of rust proofing gunk you got in there - and it definitely sounds like either have a poorly painted engine bay, or you are using a chemical with paint removing properties []
Old 07-06-2007, 06:36 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

no, just tri sodium phosphate substitue(tsp-s) its like soapy water basically with a little degrease additive to it. awesome for prep work and removal or grease, crayon, tar, glue, all kind of stuff without harming painted surfaces, wood work, or finish coats.....i used at all the time when i use to paint.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:31 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

here are those engine bay pictures.

this is the rust i was concerned about:
http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=DSCN0104.jpg

this is the gunk i talked about, its to the left of the air filter.....actually all over the place but you can really see it there all that dark stuff
http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=DSCN0092.jpg

here is all that gunk wiped off but so did the paint:
http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=DSCN0101.jpg
Old 07-07-2007, 12:47 AM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Rusting at the frame rail and strut tower is not a good thing, if it goes to far it could actually weaken what little structural integrity there iswith the strut tower.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:04 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: ALMOST STOCK

Rusting at the frame rail and strut tower is not a good thing, if it goes to far it could actually weaken what little structural integrity there iswith the strut tower.
thats what i was afraid of, i know you probable cant see it very well but when you look at in person.....the flared part of the rust is actually the piece of metal that overlaps the strut tower itself.....now if its gone further than that i dont know but what i can actually see its just that.....there is rust on the strut tower but its not much more than surface rust from what i can see.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:12 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

iif I were you... I wouldnt put any more money into that car.

start saving for something with less rust... thats structural... no good
Old 07-07-2007, 02:41 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

iif I were you... I wouldnt put any more money into that car.

start saving for something with less rust... thats structural... no good
for sure? i guess i could continue to build the motor and just swap it into another car.

im not trying to sound like an idiot or be retarded. its not in high stress area. could i weld is some additional bracing for the time being. this is just weird though. its just there. the rest of the car other than the rear bumper is fine. the whole flooring is fine, fire wall fine.

just really give it to me straight will it break soon or could it be managed until i get time to get another stang.

Quick Reply: engine bay questions