5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

bypassing factory wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 05:11 PM
pacepony
2nd Gear Member

Default bypassing factory wiring

the wiring in my car is all screwed up. its a 79 with a carbed 302. what all do i need to bypass all the factory wiring. i have a msd 6al and im going to buy an electric fuel pump. i want to bypass all factory wiring
Old 01-14-2005, 05:44 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: bypassing factory wiring

well.... so your saying you want to bypass the heater and gauges and lighting and all that stuff? sounds a lil crazy... need to specify what you want to bypass.... you dont have to bypass EVERYTHING.... but if its just ignition and fuel pump stuff, then it can be done......... if you want EVERYTHING, thats just going to take alot more time then its worth.. IMO
Old 01-14-2005, 06:44 PM
pacepony
2nd Gear Member

i meant the ignition wiring. my car has wiring problems involving the ignition, it has burnt some wires and sometimes doesnt want to start up. i want to get rid of the factory ignition. maybe with the msd box and fuel pump on switches. what wires do i need to make it run
Old 01-15-2005, 01:59 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

check out www.painlessperformance.com these guys make all kinds of wiring harnesses and such including switch panels for racers that want to bypass the ignition key thing in their racer. all you really need for a carb ignition is a switched 12 volt wire, from the ignition switch, to the + side of the coil, and the normal hookup for the MSD box including it's own 12 volt power connection and ground.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:16 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

you should be able to bypass everything
Old 01-15-2005, 06:17 PM
pacepony
2nd Gear Member

so you take a switched wire to the positive side of coil , then a pushbutton power wire to the starter. wire the msd box with a switched wire along with a switched wire for the fuel pump. can i take out the factory ignition box on the fender. the wires for the distributer go to the msd box and other wire to the coil i believe. would this take care of the engine wiring or is there more
Old 01-15-2005, 08:48 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

the switched wire for the starter goes into the small wire going to the small stud on the same side of the starter solenoid where the positive battery terminal connects to it. if you put a heavy duty switch or use a relay in the power wire to the MSD box, then you don't need a switched wire in the wire going to the + side of the coil. and an on/off switch for the fuel pump should complete the wiring.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:07 PM
pacepony
2nd Gear Member

i have a wire on my solenoid that has burnt it two twice. then the car wont start up. it will turn over but not fire. does the wire go to the ignition or something like that. im trying to get the thing completely fixed before april. does the alt. wire just to to the battery. my solenoid has quite a few wires running to it
Old 01-16-2005, 01:58 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

that wire sounds like the power supply wire to the ignition switch which supplies power to the ignition module. if it's burning in two, it must be a fusible link and you may have a dead short somewhere, maybe in the switch, which is causing it to burn up. the large wire gauge output wire from the alternator attaches to the same side of the starter solenoid as the positive battery cable so it can charge the battery properly. one of the other wires leaving this same post on the solenoid goes to power the ECU and the other wires leaving it supply power to other users in the car via the fuse panel. the ECU wire and the fuse panel supply wire are fusible links if memory serves me correctly too. these are designed to burn in two in the event of a dead short anywhere in the wiring harness to prevent fires.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:30 PM
pacepony
2nd Gear Member

so can i remove one of the wires off the soleniod if i run the msd box?

Quick Reply: bypassing factory wiring