5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Is anyone a fox-body guru?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:44 PM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

Default Is anyone a fox-body guru?????

I've already posted this in the general discussion with no replies. So since I'm in need of some help... I'm re-posting it here....
I've got an '85 GT. I was going to order a suspension kit for it this weekend. But where I'm getting it. It's only listed for a '86-93. Some one told me here on the forum that the front spindles were different. So there were different struts.
Well I did some parts number searches. And I'm more confused now. There is a different part number(for struts) for the '79-'85. But the description shows that it's compatible with all fox bodies. But the number( for struts)for an '85-'92 is different. But it only states that it'll only fit those years.
So... does anyone know the difference? And if so what? I'd really like to just order the whole kit. But if it won't work I'll just shop for individual components for my car.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:27 AM
Vader87
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Is anyone a fox-body guru?????

Its possible the front spindles are different but I doubt it. The rotors might be a different dia. but the struts being changed out shouldnt be a problem. If you have concerns that the spindles are diff., you might try going toyour localauto parts store, & ask them to pull a front strut for an '85 GT & '91 GT if they have them in stock. Look& see if they are different. Not totally sure but if anything is different it will be the shaft diametersize orthediameter of the top cover for the shaft. Most likely either way either one will work. Good Luck!
Old 07-07-2007, 01:29 AM
Vader87
1st Gear Member

Also what all is included in your suspension kit?
Old 07-07-2007, 02:12 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

You can use 87-93 struts on a an 85 I have an 85 I bought a set of lakewood 90/10 for up front. And yes the spindles are smaller in 85 they had 10 inch rotors. I should know I went through 3 sets before I just upgraded to the 87-93 11 inch rotors to do it I had to change spindles to the 87-93 style as the larger rotor would hit the mounting brackets. If you buy the 87-93 struts they'll work they usually include in the kit 2 shims for each side to take up the slack on the smaller spindle on the 85's my lakewoods did but didn't need them as I had already upgraded. you'll be fine just order the 87-93 it'll tell you in the kit what to do. I have done almost every suspension mod to my 85 you can think of Drag shocks, tubular k-member and tubular contron arms , coil over front shocks , pan hard bar, sub frames , upper and lower rear control arms, adjustable pinion snubber and drive shaft look!! it alll works all stuff was ordered for a 87-93 mustang
Old 07-07-2007, 02:16 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

the '85 had a 7.5 rear axle if I remember correctly. I think '86, aside from being the first year of EFI, having the worst heads ever and flat top pistons also was the first year of the 8.8

I'm not sure though, someone else will have to confirm it, my '86 came with a v6, so im still packing a 7.5
Old 07-07-2007, 02:23 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

yes your right SHELTY!! I trashed my 7.5 and got the 8.8 in my 85 now with 3.73's works great
Old 07-07-2007, 07:42 PM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

(Vader87) The kit I'm getting is in the summit racing catalog. It includes... FRPP springs, Hothchkis caster/camber plates, Strange adjustable struts and shocks. I'm going to buy an Energy Suspensions poly-urethane bushing kit for the whole car also.

(mjr46)Thanks for the info on the spindles. I understand what the difference is now. It's the thickness of where the strut bolts onto the spindle. When you said they were different sizes. I thought maybe there were different length struts or something.
Well..... Hopefully tomorrow I'll call Summit up and order the kit. I just sold an old beater truck for $500.The kit costs $680. I'll just have to hide the bill from summit from the wife for awhile.

(Shelty) Thanks for bringing up the rear-end. Can anyone give me some tips on what rears willswap into our cars. Does it have to be out of a mustang (Because of the quad shocks)? Or will it work without the quads?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Fishhawk
2nd Gear Member

Hi guys, I also own an 85 GT and was thinking about moving to 17" rims and was told I would also have to swap my spindles for 87 and up versions. I was wondering why that would be necessary considering the 87 to 91 LX's came with the same 10 hole rims that are on the 85/86 GT's. Wouldn't that mean that I could stay with my 10" rotors and original spindles? I'd hate to have to swap out rotors and struts now considering I just did the brakes last summer and put on a new set of Koni's.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:50 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

you need the bigger rotors with the 17's alot more unsprung wt to stop....the spindles shouldn't be a problem as there are a ton of people doing the sn conversations
Old 07-12-2007, 07:07 PM
92civy
4th Gear Member

hey guys, does a 86 lx 4cyl have the 8.8 or the 7.5?

Quick Reply: Is anyone a fox-body guru?????