5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Trouble shooting.Need Roundman.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Stinger
4th Gear Member

Default Trouble shooting.Need Roundman.

Ok im wondering if anyone has had this problem. My cars starts and drives fine but then dies cause it fills like no fuel and has to set for about 20 minutes before itll run and drive. Also sometimes after it dies ill restart the car and itll run barley but when i give it gas it doesnt move kinda like no response. Ok these are the things i have replaced or are replacing. I replaced the TFI module on the dizzy and same problem. Changing fuel pump as we speak. Does anyone or has anyone had a TPS do this to you? Or maybe theMASS Air meter? After fuel pump is replaced its gonna rule out fuel and im almost positive its not fuel pump so any ideas would be great cause even good mechanics over look stuff! Thanks in advanced..OH P.S. while driving to fix my car the King of Hondas pulled next to me and tried to race..Well NUTS had enough in him to still kill that car 2 times.. But he died afterwards LOL! Nuts= my mustang. Thanks fellas!
Old 01-15-2005, 12:22 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Trouble shooting.Need Roundman.

You need to wait until the car has its problem then test for fuel and fire - that will narrow your search down so you don't go spending hundreds on misc parts.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:30 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Exactly, just because your fuel pump is good doesn't mean that your pressure is right.

I had a problem similar to that when my battery went dead, accept it wouldn't start, but it would run for a while, and then all of a sudden it would just start to die, it would stay running for a few seconds, and when I pushed the gas, there was no response. Kinda similar, although in your case, I don't think it's the battery.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:19 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

you know if half of you guy's pay attention to 2% of my past posts.
with the same damn problems i'd be having/fixing...........you all would have a damn good running car!
sorry stinger had to get that out,but with your problem does your car die with no sign?check engine flash before it happens?
if you say it has to sit for 20 min and then it will start.....most likely its your stator or ignition module.
try borrowing a distributor,and see if it does it again.
your pump can do the same thing...(thanks roundman some of us youngsters do listen)it could be over heating.if you run it low on gas all the time. try with that first,and like md said don't spend money on things until you know for sure what it is.i spent $1800 bucks in the past 3mo's,granite some needed to be in the process (alt,starter,$300 damper),but still didn't fix my initial problem...hell i could of had my vortech s/c on it right now for that kind of money!
Old 01-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Stinger
4th Gear Member

LOL MD.. i dont buy and swap parts. I just felt the TFI/ was needed cause that is ussally the problem. I was thinking stater also grabbem , also its kinda hard to diagnos problems on the side of the road broke down, it doesnt just do it when i want it to. My biggest prob is this car isnt just your normal run of the mil vehicle,its a 88 four banger converted over to a 5.0 and i didnt do the conversion. So thanks for input fellas and if someone else has an idea shoot it this direction.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:24 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i got a msd module brand new if you need it i'll save you money,and i'll get it to ya asap.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:25 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

those symptoms sound like water in the gas to me. if you're taking the fuel tank off to check/change the fuel pump, dump the tank out and rinse it out with some fresh gas and then get some fresh fuel and see if it does it again. never buy gas when you see the tanker truck there filling the underground tanks as this stirs up the water which has settled to the bottom of the tank where the pump can't pick it up and get it into your tank. water in the gas makes the car run like hell and it will shut off if it gets a big shot of water, then you sit and crank and crank on it and it might finally restart only to act up again down the road a piece.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:34 PM
Stinger
4th Gear Member

Well i put tank back on with differ fuel pump, was in hurry and didnt dump tank,but the car is running good now but not totally sold on it being fixed.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:44 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

get some dry gas additive and put a can in the tank along with some good fresh gas and see if this doesn't help out some.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:41 AM
51Woodie

Default RE: Fuel pump issue here also

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a similar issue. 5.0 HO crate motor in a woodie wagon. Car runs for about 5 minutes, then shuts off. Turn the key to restart, and it turns over but no fuel pump. Wait roughly 5 minutes, and the pump is back in action....only to stop later. The cycle repeats in perpetuity. Could a breaker be tripping? I added a few gallons to the tank to make sure it wasn't a low fuel situation.

Quick Reply: Trouble shooting.Need Roundman.