5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Spark plugs % spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 11:10 PM
Dejavu
2nd Gear Member

Default Spark plugs % spark plug wires

What Spark plugs and spark plug wires do you guys recommend for a 91 gt? i want to buy the best or closest too...

The car has a Vortech V1 supercharger that is going back on in a few months and I heard that if your car is supercharged you need to have some high performance spark plugs, I also want to change the alternator cap.

What do you guys recommend, is MSD good?

Dejavu
Old 01-15-2005, 11:12 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Spark plugs % spark plug wires

msd cap and rotor, 1 step to start auto lites...no not use plat plugs..and holley makes the lowest resist plug wires on the market
Old 01-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Dejavu
2nd Gear Member

I only understood cap and rotor, the rest I didn't get...and does it matter that I have a stock alternator if I want to use the MSD cap and rotor?

Dejavu
Old 01-15-2005, 11:21 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

alt is ok stock
you need 1 step colder plugs..use autolites
holley makes the best plug wires..got it now?
Old 01-16-2005, 01:11 AM
91LXstanger
3rd Gear Member

How many ohms does the holley's have?. The crane cam firewire wires have approx.30
Old 01-16-2005, 05:46 AM
Dejavu
2nd Gear Member

Hey!

Yeah Vfast, I understand now. Do they have a website? I want to order the sparkplugs and the sparkplug wires, and do they make spark plugs too?

Also, am I right about needing to change my spark plugs once I get the supercharger back on or is it ok with whatever spark plugs I get?

Thanks guys, I'm trying to order all the parts I need for a full tune-up, thats why I need to ask all this.

Dejavu
Old 01-16-2005, 07:06 AM
Dejavu
2nd Gear Member

Whats up guys,

I'm at the autolite website and I found the spark plugs they sell, but they have a few choices-should i go with double platinum spark plugs or just platinum?

And do I need to worry about sizes or are all spark plugs the same size?

Oh!, I saw these ultralite spark plug wires on a black mustang in the janurary issue of Muscle mustangs and fast fords and I was wondering if they were as good as the autolites ?

Dejavu
Old 01-16-2005, 11:22 AM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

DO NOT I MEAN DO NOT USE PLAT PLUGS WITH ANY POWER ADDER!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2005, 02:47 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dejavu

Whats up guys,

And do I need to worry about sizes or are all spark plugs the same size?
yes you need to worry about sizes and get the proper plugs. Ford uses tapered seat spark plugs which seal without a gasket while others use straight threaded plugs that use a small metal gasket on each plug to seal the combustion pressure. Spark plugs also come in different "reaches" which is how long the threaded part is as far as how deep down into the combustion chamber it sticks down so make sure you get the right reach for the Ford 5.0 you have. finally, spark plugs have different heat ranges which has to do with the length of the white ceramic insulator surrounding the center electrode. the shorter the center electrode insulator, the colder the plug rating will be. power adders usually need colder rated plugs than stock so the center electrodes don't burn up due to the higher combustion temperatures with a power adder.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Dejavu
2nd Gear Member

Whats up guys,

I am doing a full tune-up to my car as soon as its out of the shop.
Its a 91 mustang GT Hatchback, its got a rebuilt motor that has about 50k miles on it and right now I'm having the transmission rebuilt and a Center Force Dual Friction stage 3 clutch put in.

My car has:

vORTECH V1 s-TRIM supercharger 10 psi
k+N aIR fILTER
pRO-M 75MM mASS aIR
67MM THROTTLE BODY
TRICK FLOW INTAKE
COBRA 1=2E7 RATIO ROLLER ROCKERS
MOTORSPORt E303 CAM
STOCK HEADS
FORGED PISTONS
STOCK CRANK+RODS
arp MAIN +ROD BOLTS
24LB INJECTORS
ADJUSTABLE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR
255LB FUEL PUMP
DUEL ELECTRIC FANS
4 CORE RADIATOR
HURST SHIFTER
BBK 1-5/8 EQUAL LENGTH HEADERS
NO CAT H PIPE
2 CHAMBER FLOW MASTER
3=2E55 REAR END GEARS

eibach SPRINGS 1-1/4 FRONT, 7/8 REAR
Cobra Rear Bumper

I posted a few weeks ago asking how to give a good tune-up. I was told that
what I needed to check/change and work on was "new spark plugs, spark plug wires if needed, new distributor cap and rotor if needed, new fuel filter, new air filter, cleaning TB and IAC with carb cleaner, and finally checking and setting engine timing and idle speed."( I think this was roundman helping me out in the quote)

I'm trying to collect info on the best brand names for all those parts that I need to buy and have to work on, I still don't know what carb cleaner is, or where to get it, I don't know how I'm gonna get the TB and IAC cleaned, or how to check/set engine timing and idle speed, so i'll be posting questions about that later, lol.

So far, I know that I want to go with autolite spark plugs and with MSD spark plug wires, I want an MSD alternator cap and rotor but I don't know if that will fit my stock Alternator. As far as the spark plugs go, I was told that if you have a supercharger on that you need a "special" kind of spark plugs, right now my supercharger is off, its going to be off for about 3 months then I want to put it back on so I don't know if thats true or not or if i should worry about it...

And roundman, where do I find out the size and measurements and stuff on what kind of spark plugs I need for a 91 mustang gt? You gave me lots of info but no solutions so now I'm even more freaked out, lol- and I almost forgot about the spark plug wires too, how do I know what sizes I need?

Um... my belts are new so I won't need to touch that, I think I am going to need a new battery, any suggetions on that? I also plan to get an MSD 6al Ignotion box once the supercharger is on....um...i'll probably be using pennzoil for the oil changes....um....I have k&n filters already, they're reusable but I think I'll just buy new ones...

Thats all I can think of for now - Man so much to do sheesh, I already spent like 300 bucks at 50resto buying stuff for the car :P

Ok thanks alot guys!

Dejavu

Quick Reply: Spark plugs % spark plug wires