5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

bumping timing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default bumping timing?

hey, how far can I bump my timing on my 5.0 before I start to cause problems or need a higher octane gas?

how do you know how far to bump it, is there a gauge or a tool used to do it? I see the bolt that needs to be loosened to turn the dizzy
Old 07-10-2007, 03:05 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: bumping timing?

about 12-13 degree's works well, any more and you'll lose performance..

you'll need a timing light and a wrench to loosen that bolt. also you have to disconnect the spout plug before you turn it, or the computer will automatically compensate right away.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:12 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

depends on your mods and octane gas. im running 110 octane race fuel and 36 degrees total timing and if io were to go back to 26 total i would be way slower. i just did this just a week ago and my car has run no slower than a 12.63 in the quater mile all motor.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

about 12-13 degree's works well, any more and you'll lose performance..

you'll need a timing light and a wrench to loosen that bolt. also you have to disconnect the spout plug before you turn it, or the computer will automatically compensate right away.
gonna be running a carb, can i still bump it?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:25 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

oh yah. even easier. no spout connector to unplug.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:51 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

to answer your question shelty there is no gauge, you just need a inductive timing light, a 1/2 inch wrench and do the following.

1. with the car not running disconnect the spout connector in front of the distributor, its a plug hanging with a gray block plugging it thats the spout connector, remove the gray block in the end of it.

2. hook the timming gun up to the battery and the inductive clamp on the #1 spark plug wire which is the wire coming off of the front most plug on the left hand side of the motor when looking at the motor from the front of the car.

3. loosen the distributor hold down bolt with a the 1/2 inch wrench a little at a time until the distributor can be moved with some resistance, you dont want it too loose or it may jump timing.

4. before starting the car find the mark on your harmonic balancer for the timing setting you want, for example if you want 14 degrees before top dead center you have to find the marks on the balancer that state BTD. there will be a mark that says TDC this is top dead center and given your crank rotates clockwise from the front of car view, the advance timing marks are to the right of the TDC mark. there will be a 10BTDC AND 20 and 30 and so on and every little mark between each tenth counts as 2 degrees so to set it at 14 you need to find the 10 BTDC mark and go 2 small marks to the right from there and thats 14 degrees before top dead center. once the mark you want is found it helps to mark it with a white paint marker.

5. now that you have your mark be sure none of your leads to your timing light are able to get caught in the pulley system and position yourself on the passenger side of the front fender and look down at the harmonic balancer, you will see a bracket thats is just above the balancer and it will have a half circle notch in it about half way up the bracket and at the top where the bracket ends there will be a sharp edge to the upper right hand corner,this is where the timing is refrenced at. with this known start the car and turn the timing light on.

6. the timing light will strobe, aim it at the balancer and you will see the line you marked on the balancer in white. if its below the pointer on the bracket your timing is advanced higher than 14 but if its above then its retarted below 14. very slowly rotate the distributor until the mark is dead on the pointer. once this is accomplished tighten the distributor hold down bolt back down and reshoot the balancer verifying it didnt move during tightening. if its good shut the motor off and REINSTALL THE SPOUT PLUG!!!!!

7. once the plug is reinstalled start it up and go take it for a drive and dont gas on it just drive normally. shift into 3rd gear at a low rpm and gradually accellerate so the motor gets a good load on it and if there is no pinging, which is like valves clattering sound then your good to go. the reason for the 3rd gear load thing is because if a motior is gonna detonate it will do it quicker at this point.

8. if your happy with this setting then stay there but if you want maximum advance repeat the above procedure until you get pinging and then back it off a degree or 2 or until no pinging is heard and your set at max. my max is 26 BTDC but im running 110 octane along with forged nitrous pistons by dss. a 26 degree timing set on a unproperly modified motor and wrong octane will cause a burnt top on a piston in a heartbeat so be very careful with the advancing of timing. if you have any other questions just ask so you will be sure because this is not a procedure for a rookie to play with
Old 07-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

thanks buddy, I'll have to try it out once I get it running, but I'll prolly wait maybe 1 or 2 K just to get the motor back into action...

how much HP is it good for? 5-10?
Old 07-10-2007, 09:57 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

i got 20 to 30 more with mine. it all depends on how much advancement you do.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

hey iceman, im gonna bump mine, what ya reccommend? a guy told me that TW heads like around 33 degrees to make the most power. i got eddy's and like 10:1CR. i got it set at the stock 10* and want to get some more from it. i need to get it tuned b/c im pretty sure its running rich and when i bring it up to 5500rpms moving or parked, it loses so much power and acts like its choking, if i take off in first and hold it, hit 5500 and let off the gas and keep it in first it backfires. im guessing thats from being too rich. i need to pull the plugs to tell for sure.
sry to jack ur thread shelty.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:51 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

mine was doing the same last friday, i mean the exact same. i advanced it to 16 BTDC and it got better, but remember im running 110 octane race fuel and after going all the way up to 26BTDC the backfiring ceased and no more backfiring between shifts either. i prolly could go more but just havent messed with it. if i were you just bump it until you actually get pinging and then back it off 2 degrees at a time until it stops pinging. that suggestion of 30 degrees timing is prolly total timing. 20 degrees with spout disconnected = 30 degrees once spout is reconnected. in other words im running 26 BTDC thus giving me 36 degrees total timing. hey, did you check out my vids in the general section of the second place i took out at no problems headsup street racing last sat. night?

Quick Reply: bumping timing?