5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HCI 99% Complete - Help with last line! *NEED HELP!*UPDATED**

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:45 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: HCI 99% Complete - Help with last line! *PLZ HELP!*

So was the distributor 180 degrees out?

As far as the PCV line, just buy some vacuum line at a parts store and run a fresh line if you have to. It's about $0.99 per foot so it will be dirt cheap for fresh line.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:55 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Do you think that PCV line would cause the car to shut off and not want to start?

The firing order was wrong, but I just swapped the plugs to the opposite side to check to see if that was the problem. I turned the key and it started right up, I tried to give it some gas and it shut off... It won't start back up now unless I push WOT and turn ignition and then just shuts off if I stop turning the key.

But does that pcv line go into that hole in the lower intake? with that little plastic ring around it?

THANKS!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:06 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

Remove the #1 spark plug (pass.. side front) - Take a shop rag and stuff it very tightly into the spark plug hole - Get into the car and turn key to just "bump" the starter, do this repetedly until the rag POPS (if you stuffed the rag good you will hear it)- pull dist. cap and make sure the rotor is pointing to #1 terminal-- Re-verify your firing order! - then connect that vac line to the back of the intake! you are causing a massive vac leak with it disconnected and no PCV on it!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:07 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Okay, I believe I found where the PCV line goes with that little valve on the end...

The line is too short and so is the extra one that I have. I will go get a new one tomorrow... Now the question is, would that cause my car not to start? The line is in the picture in the first post if you don't know what hose it is.

Anyway, i'm going to fix the distributer now because it was in fact 180 degrees off... then i'll restab the dizzy and get the new hose tomorrow.

-Jeff
Old 07-11-2007, 09:14 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

many things in your case would not let the motor start.. dist out 180, incorrect firing order, massive vac leak
Old 07-11-2007, 09:22 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: creekrat

many things in your case would not let the motor start.. dist out 180, incorrect firing order, massive vac leak
The firing order was correct... but the dizzy was out 180 degrees like stated in earlier posts.

I did swap the wires to the opposite side of where they were originally at so that may be the problem of it not starting correctlymaybethe firing order is wrong now but I doubt it. BUT the car idd start at thisfiring order that is atbut the dizzy is OUT 180 degrees but I just swapped the plugs like i've said to the opposite side. So it did start fora second butwon't anymore...

The PCV hose from the front of the upper intake to the lower was disconnected and I will be purchasing a new hose tomorrow. I'm not sure if that's why it won't start but i'm hoping it is... In the mean time, i'm going to fix my distributer and restab it so it is not 180 degrees out.

-Jeff
Old 07-11-2007, 09:39 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

The PCV valve won't keep it from starting. if the distributor is in fact 180 degrees out then that is your problem. Fix that, check your firing order, and buy the new PCV vacuum line and you should have no problems.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:03 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

2nd post on the 2nd page, from you says firing order was wrong. Also,stated your dist. is 180 out. and you keep repeating why won't it start? re stab the dist. correctly and fix the firing order if it is wrong and fix the vac leak. The vac leak will not kep it from starting, but it will wreak havoc on the computer, trying to keep it running
Old 07-11-2007, 10:08 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: creekrat

2nd post on the 2nd page, from you says firing order was wrong. Also,stated your dist. is 180 out. and you keep repeating why won't it start? re stab the dist. correctly and fix the firing order if it is wrong and fix the vac leak. The vac leak will not kep it from starting, but it will wreak havoc on the computer, trying to keep it running
Well... Somebody said I was able to switch the wires to the opposite side of where they were... I did and the car did start... but now it won't anymore... Would that be why it won't start anymore? because the wires are now opposite? I'm just doing what somebody said earlier and the distributer is 180 degrees out and I did just swap the wires to the opposite side. That's what I meant why won't it start. The car wouldn't start at all when it is 180 degrees out with the plugs in their normal order.

-Jeff
Old 07-11-2007, 10:27 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

Yea, switching wires around is not a good idea, it will not fix the problem. It may have just kicked over a few times but it will not run anywhere close to right! Fix the dist first thing! You are just wasting your time and efforts swapping wires around and crap like that. Use the rag method to get #1 up on compression like I said earlier. I like this method because you can do it by yourself, and it is easy and sure to get things exactly where you want it. Painless. In the time it took you to swap wires around you could have had it re- stabbed!

Quick Reply: HCI 99% Complete - Help with last line! *NEED HELP!*UPDATED**