5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

A/C Question and maybe a problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 01:14 AM
HogWash94
1st Gear Member

Default A/C Question and maybe a problem

Well I have A/C on my 94 GT 5.0. I went ahead and added some freon and the oil and all the good stuff.The A/C hasnt been used in over a year. Now when I put the freon and stuff in it the compressor kicked on but no cold air. It holds pressure in the line, no leaks ,so I thought I was good till I read the back of the bottle. It shows that the lines can get clogged. So I am assuming that thats what happento mine. If any one knows about A/C let me know. I didnt think that A/C lines could get clogged. Im taking that i will have to go get a performance check on it and have them blow the lines out. Any help guys TIA
Old 07-08-2007, 01:28 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: A/C Question and maybe a problem

Is your cooling fan working meaning the one on the front of the engine. if not is won't be able to remove heat fron the condensor and the pressures will sky rocket causing a lack of cooling expecially in stop and go traffic or sitting still?? you really need to hook a set of gauges up to it and check the pressures if there is a clog the low side will be drawn into almost a vaccum and you'll see that on the gauges happening. without hooking a set of gauges up it'll be hard to determine root cause. I assume this car is equipped with 134a and not r-12 if not was the conversion done??
Old 07-08-2007, 01:37 AM
HogWash94
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

Is your cooling fan working meaning the one on the front of the engine. if not is won't be able to remove heat fron the condensor and the pressures will sky rocket causing a lack of cooling expecially in stop and go traffic or sitting still?? you really need to hook a set of gauges up to it and check the pressures if there is a clog the low side will be drawn into almost a vaccum and you'll see that on the gauges happening. without hooking a set of gauges up it'll be hard to determine root cause. I assume this car is equipped with 134a and not r-12 if not was the conversion done??
I beleive the fan is working, didnt really check I know it should come on when the ac is on correct? it is 134a though. I did have a guage in the side that I filled with. I had a guage that came w/ the freon is that alright?The guage would go up and down when the a/c kicked on.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:51 AM
HogWash94
1st Gear Member

At most it should be 45psi correct??
Old 07-08-2007, 01:57 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

The low side pressures will vary depending on temperature and humidity outside as will the high side.generally 25-35 on the low side is acceptable and 175 to 250 on the high. but temperature will affect these numbers . the little arresol cans you buy at autozone aren't the most accurate excpecially if it's built onto the can. you need a set of gauges that have high and low side pressures side by side. if there is a blockage you'll see it on the gauges usually an expansion valve not working or an orifice tube plugged. these two devices are what meter / control the flow of freon in a system your car either has one ot the other. you cant see an orifice tube as it's installed inside a line at a connection. if it's electric the fan should be on when the a/c is on. also if you over charged the system you'll have to evacuate the whole system and recharge with exact amount. to much oil and freon in the system will effect it's ability to cool. MORE IS NOT BETTER IN THIS CASE FOR FREON!!!
Old 07-08-2007, 02:09 AM
HogWash94
1st Gear Member

The low side pressures will vary depending on temperature and humidity outside as will the high side.generally 25-35 on the low side is acceptable and 175 to 250 on the high. but temperature will affect these numbers . the little arresol cans you buy at autozone aren't the most accurate excpecially if it's built onto the can. you need a set of gauges that have high and low side pressures side by side. if there is a blockage you'll see it on the gauges usually an expansion valve not working or an orifice tube plugged. these two devices are what meter / control the flow of freon in a system your car either has one ot the other. you cant see an orifice tube as it's installed inside a line at a connection. if it's electric the fan should be on when the a/c is on. also if you over charged the system you'll have to evacuate the whole system and recharge with exact amount. to much oil and freon in the system will effect it's ability to cool. MORE IS NOT BETTER IN THIS CASE FOR FREON!!!
I figured I would have to take it to a shop and have them do it. If I decide to take it to a shop do they have stuff that will clean the lines out if that is the problem? None of the lines got cold when you felt around, what would that be? An also not having the money to get guages how else can I see if everything is flowing right?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:18 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

WTHOUT GAUGES it'll be hard to work on an a/c system. probably have to take it to a shop.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:21 AM
HogWash94
1st Gear Member

WTHOUT GAUGES it'll be hard to work on an a/c system. probably have to take it to a shop.
Will they be able to clean out the lines if they are clogged when they do a performance check on it.Hope fully that is the problem.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:25 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

yes they will have what is needed to check it out. and flush the system if needed. we have all the proper stuff at my shop do do a/c repair
Old 07-08-2007, 02:35 AM
HogWash94
1st Gear Member

yes they will have what is needed to check it out. and flush the system if needed. we have all the proper stuff at my shop do do a/c repair
Well hell were ya at???

Quick Reply: A/C Question and maybe a problem