5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help! Noise coming from clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:30 PM
ChevelleStang

Default RE: Help! Noise coming from clutch?

its not like a loud squeak....it sounds like the pedal is rubbing against something and it makes a scratchy rubbing sound...nothing high pitched or loud. when the clutch engages it grabs just the same...it doesnt do it everytime. for some reason i think its temp related. sometimes its as smooth as ever when i push it down.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:34 PM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ChevelleStang

its not like a loud squeak....it sounds like the pedal is rubbing against something and it makes a scratchy rubbing sound...nothing high pitched or loud. when the clutch engages it grabs just the same...it doesnt do it everytime. for some reason i think its temp related. sometimes its as smooth as ever when i push it down.
Im gonna agree with the thrwo out bearing, mine would squel when my cable was a little loose, and when it would get hot.
The scratchiness could be the bearing retainer too(gettin grooves)
Old 07-11-2007, 07:39 PM
ChevelleStang

When i push the clutch down and it feels like its rubbing its not smooth. But then again it goes down smooth sometiems too
Old 07-11-2007, 07:39 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

I am still thinking it is the TOB, but just make totally sure and don't just throw money at your car. I say this because it is difficult to diagnose symptoms on the internet. Is there any way you can make a sound clip of the noise it is making?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:43 PM
ChevelleStang

unfortunately, no. if the tob was the problem would it be causing some type of slippage or anything? or any problems keeping the gears?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:21 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

if it only happens when you push the clutch in and not when you let up on the pedal than my bet would be the pilot bearing.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:27 PM
ChevelleStang

Is the pilot bearing something easy to fix or time consuming? Expensive?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:30 PM
ChevelleStang

I just want to say thank you very much to everyone who has helped me with this problem. I hope I can get this figured out sometime soon!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:52 PM
91blackmustanggt
1st Gear Member

It is more than likely the release(throw out) bearing. I had the same problem. The clutch quadrant on the fox body cars is not made for the driving style of most mustang owners. The teeth that ratchet, skip when you drop the clutch until you have no free play left and a stiff clutch pedal. If you have a fox, you should get a firewall clutch adjuster. I have one with a centerforce dual friction and stock cable and I have no complaints. Idon't have to adjust it very often. The easiest way to adjust it is pull of the dust sheild on thetranny and take the cable off the fork and pump the pedal and pull on the cable until you have slack again and then adjust your adjuster accordingly.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:59 PM
91bigredgt
1st Gear Member

u know ur prob sounds almost exactly like mine......previous owner did clutch except with mine when my foot is off the clutch it will make the noise but ive heard several different things like pilot, throwout and something else a slow mechanic told me

Quick Reply: Help! Noise coming from clutch?