5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help! Noise coming from clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 06:04 PM
ChevelleStang

Default Help! Noise coming from clutch?

When I press the clutch in my 1992 lx it makes a weird squeaky noise. The clutch engages and works fine but i dont understand the noise. Also, when I press it it has a scratchy, rubbing feel. Does anybody know about or had this happen to them? I think maybe the cable or some part of the clutch, maybe the bearing, or something may need lube?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:09 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Help! Noise coming from clutch?

it could be your throw out bearing, it could be going out....that would be my first guess.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:12 PM
ChevelleStang

The clutch has only been in for about 1,000 miles. Do you think the bearing could be going bad or do u think there might need to be more lube?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:31 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

did you also replace the tob when your did the clutch, did you also get the flywheel turned when the clutch was replaced?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:33 PM
ChevelleStang

Im actually not sure. I bought the car after the clutch was replaced. I dont know if they were also replaced. I would hope so. But dont know
Old 07-11-2007, 06:49 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Is there any way to contact the previous owner and find that info out. There are a lot of cheap and lazy people who will only do a job half ***. I hate when people do that because then you may have to pull the tranny and replace the tob and get the flywheel turned possible.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:09 PM
ChevelleStang

what will happen in the tob goes bad? will it mess up the clutch? How will i know that it has gone out?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:12 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

it could mess the clutch up, but you will more than likely not be going anywhere if the tob does go out, you can't get the pressure plate moving without the tob.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:20 PM
ChevelleStang

Is it possible to check any of these things without taking it apart? Where should i take it to get this fixed?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:28 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

taking the t-5 out is not that difficult, and you could save your self about 3-500 dollars doing it your self. you and a friend with a little bit of mechanical knowledge could easily tackle the job. If you had to take it some where, and it is definately giving you trouble, take it to a transimission shop. You may want to take it to a few shops and find out what they think before you shell out that kind of cash.

How bad and what type of squeak is it making. Noise like a brake squeaking or something else?

Quick Reply: Help! Noise coming from clutch?