5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What's your thoughts on springs?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:15 PM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

Default What's your thoughts on springs?????

I'm starting to order all my suspension stuff for my '85GT. I just ordered some monroe sensa-trac struts and shocks today. Possibly tomorrow I'll order my springs(?), poly-bushing set(energy suspensions), bumpsteer kit(competition engineering),caster/camber plates(BBK),and sub-frame connectors(BBK). But before I make my final decisions on my springs. I'd like to hear what you guys have experienced with different stuff. Here's some questions....
I'm stuck between two brands on my springs... BBK & FRPP. I like the BBK's because they'll lower the car 1.5" all-around. But will they work okay with replacement struts?And the FRPP's only lower 7/8" around. But I owned an SVT focus. Which had FRPP springs and struts. And I thought it handled very well. Either way I'm going with a non-progressive coil. I want a stiffer ride. I'm not going to be racing the car(I just want a nice stance when I put my 18" wheels on it)Does anyone have any opinions??? As in other brands... what they liked/disliked about lowering their 'stangs? Oh, and if you lower the 'stang... Will it require the bumpsteer kit, and the offset steering rack bushings? Or just one or the other? And if only one... Which is the better route?
Okay... that was alotta questions. Sorry for it being a long post. But I'm damn excited... I finally get to order stuff for my mustang. It'll be that much closer to driving the streets again! It's ready to eat dodges and **** fords!
Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What's your thoughts on springs?????

my thoughts on springs are.............. they are a pain in the a$$ to change
Old 07-11-2007, 07:24 PM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

I'm ready for the challenge! Na... it Ain't nothin' new to me. I've installed all kinds of stuff... 2/4 drop on my old ranger, 6"lift on my old bronco with the IFS front(PAIN IN THE ****!), and installed coil-overs on my buddies cavalier. So I'm ready. I was honestly going to go to college for auto-tech. But I decided I liked working on my own stuff better than everybody else's. I could be ASE certified... I have 5years hands on. I just didn't take the test when I worked at Jasper Engines and Transmissions.
Anyways.... Was it worth lowering your car?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:26 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

To make it easy on you get eibach sportlines with polyurethane coil isolaters. The isolaters will offset the extra lowering and give you excellent ride quality. I have them with only the upper isolaters and it is not too low at all just perfect. The ride quality is amazing and handles like a race car.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:28 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

i didnt lower mine, it actually raised mine a little. i put an eibach drag racing pro kit on mine. if your gonna put some new springs on though i would reccomend eibachs pro kit line.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:31 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

What are the differences on the eibach pro kit and the sport line, and what would be best for a dd. Not trying to steal your post btw.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:41 PM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

Just guessing.. But I think the pro's are pro-rate springs and the sport-lines aren't. Oh.. Don't worry about the question. I'm Trying to find out as much as I can too! I forgot... My poly bushing kit is going to be the full master kit. So it'll have my spring isolater bushings included.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:45 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

i guess the best way to explain it without getting all technical is basically you sportline is aimed more at your average consumer and the prokit is more road course aimed. ya know like for extreme handling in corners and such.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:57 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

I don't mind technical, but I know you may not want to type it all out, so the pro kit is more designed for better handling with amuch harsher rideand the sportline is less agressive with a better ride. or am I way off? thanks for any help also. I am in the same boat when it comes to figuring out what springs will work best for my car, especially as a dd right now.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:07 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

its the opposite, the better ride and handlingwill come from the pro kit but sportline is not that noticeable of a diffrence for daily drivers. what exactly do you want out of the springs? better launching and racing characteristics or better handling in curves and overall ride quality.

Quick Reply: What's your thoughts on springs?????