MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   damn vacumm leaks (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/316102-damn-vacumm-leaks.html)

pete97GT 07-11-2007 09:11 PM

damn vacumm leaks

whats the best way to check for vacum leaks?? and what is the most common place for me to find one, i checked all the lines,but it still runs like crap, its gotten to the point where if I keep a very steady throttle i can feel my car almost jerking forward a little like the fuel mixture is too lean, i was told that b/c of a vacumm leak the computer tries to compensate for the leak by adding more fuel and that is what is causing my car to almost studder or jump a little bit, especially if going up a big hill..and the check engine light goes on,any suggestions?? I also heard that you can spray carb/choke cleaner around the intake manifold and if the rpms jump that means there is a leak is around the intake.. is that correct, is it carb cleaner that i should use or something else? I appreciate any help, thanks, oh also how would i know if I have a bad injector.

mjr46 07-11-2007 09:16 PM

RE: damn vacumm leaks

smoke machine all the way!!! if you don't have access to one try a can of carb cleaner and spray around all fittings, hoses and gasketed intake areas listen for a rise in idle.. BTW if you have a vaccum leak the miss will be present at idle and as you raise the rpm's the miss usually goes away or is greatly reduced if you still have a dead miss at or above 2000 rpm's it's probably not a vaccum leak. in that case you'll need to check ignition components or internal integrity of the motor ie....compression test if all ignition componets check out okay

creekrat 07-11-2007 09:18 PM

I hear of this product where they introduce a smoke soultion under pressure into the crankcase of your engine. Where ever you have a vac leak, voila, smoke comes rolling out. Sounded pretty trick to me, but it also sounded like a product that the backyard mechanic probably wouldn't be easily affording.

dillon1340 07-11-2007 09:21 PM

i've heard of using a cheap propane torch too. open it a bit and move it over the vacuum lines and car will rev when you find a vacuum leak.

89 fox 07-11-2007 09:23 PM

smoke machine FTW!!! best tool ever made!

pete97GT 07-12-2007 02:46 AM

cool cool, i have a propane torch, dont have a smoke machine tho, canti use anything that makes smoke tho? ie cigarette or something

greenstreak9205 07-12-2007 04:31 AM

nope. sorry dude the cig wont cut it. just use the propane, it'll work great. like it was said before, just put it around any air can be "ingested" into to motor and listen for the rpm to raise.

samseed101 07-12-2007 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: greenstreak9205

nope. sorry dude the cig wont cut it. just use the propane, it'll work great. like it was said before, just put it around any air can be "ingested" into to motor and listen for the rpm to raise.
Although it is painfully obvious to all of us...perhaps you should add one minor instruction to your advice about the propane torch. Perhaps, just for the sake of some others, you should tell them NOT to actually light the torch. :D

It may sound stupid, but you know damn well that at least one person would have read this in the future and used a lit torch.

greenstreak9205 07-12-2007 03:04 PM

unfortunately that is very true [&:] good call sam

nitrous_bob 07-12-2007 03:37 PM

@#!$%#&%#!$

you guys all suck a$$ , who was the retard that said to use a torch???

i just melted all my vac lines and my sparkplug wires too !!!!

this is BS if i knew who you were.....i would sue you

this sux