5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

easy k&n filter upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 03:04 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default easy k&n filter upgrade?

Hey, I have the K&N filter in my car, and it's cool and all since it never needs to be thrown out, just cleaned and thrown back in, but the stock housing for the filter is such a pain in the ***. I was wonderind, if the K&N cone shaped filters have a lip that can be plugged right into the rubber hose where the opening of the filter housing normally would be plugged into. If you guys know of people who have done this, mind sharing what model number I need to order? I figure it'll be much easier to take off to clean and plug right back in than the stock unit...
Old 01-18-2005, 03:17 AM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: easy k&n filter upgrade?

just get a K&N or BBK cold air intake, the one with the cone shaped filter, its about 160 bucks and it comes with the filter and chrome tubing to connect to the TB.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:19 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

but then your sucking in hot air from the engine compartment as compaired to the cold fenderwell.

try www.jegs.com part number 710-65847 i wonder how much more air (if any) this flow better then stock
Old 01-18-2005, 03:56 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Well, I think I'm going to be required to cut out that wall the original air unit attachs to. I don't exactly have any tool that does that...

My boss at my job told me to just get the filter and pop it directly onto the rubber tube, and he has a 11-second Mustang. Not that doing just that would make mine that fast, but he seems to know a thing or two about modding mustangs.

Also, there's an issue of price as well... I think I can get a 9-inch conical K&N filter from summit for $50, Jegs has the same one for $43.99, but summit also has an alternator that I am going to buy, so buying them together to only have one $8 service fee might actually be better and save me money.

Anyway, the one that comes with that moroso cold air package looks a lot smaller, would that affect how much airflow it can handle?
Old 01-19-2005, 04:16 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Hey, there is no cutting required, it goes directly into where the stock box used to set. Really easy, take a look at my avatar.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:49 PM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

I would go with the fenderwell setup like lucky13 pointed out, I have a K+N clamped to MAF like your boss suggested and I know it hurts my performance sucking in all of that hot air. I will sell you my setup CHEAP, I am going with a fenderwell setup asap.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Well, I'm looking at the setup, interested in it, but it looks so simple I'm tempted to try to make it myself, lol, but probably don't have the time.

Anyway, I was just wondering, the filter that it comes with is quite small, does it have enough surface area to give sufficient air flow??
Old 01-19-2005, 05:47 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

ive got the bbk fenderwell mount and love it.......
Old 01-20-2005, 04:13 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Great, now you go and suggest something completely different, now I'm back to the beginning, does the Moroso give enough air flow or would the BBK one be better??
Old 01-20-2005, 06:23 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Well, I just bought the Moroso induction and the 100amp alternator from Summitracing, so I guess that is settled... $215 total with shipping, not HORRIBLE I guess, hehe.

Next, 3.55's...

Quick Reply: easy k&n filter upgrade?