5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I would like everyones expertise on this one.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 06:05 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I would like everyones expertise on this one.

ORIGINAL: Mustangkiler

Well when i look at the tw head it says 66cc exhaust runner so shouldnt that be in cubic centimeters measuring the entire volume of the whole runner inside and so then wouldnt the dart with a 75cc be bigger in volume and have better flow?Or are you just refering too the fact that one could hold more cc's but the runner may be longer and that would give it better exhaust flow?
Let's try this again. Dig a hole two miles long through a mountain just big enough for you to crawl through. How many cc's of air will that hold? How big is the volume? Now dig a hole 100ft. long through a mountain you can drive a Peterbuilt through. It will hold less cc's because it's smaller, but will flow a ton more air.

Now obviously that example is really exaggerated, but it's the same theory. IF the TFS runner were extended to be the same length or the Dart runner were shortened, which would be larger? Which would flow more air? There is an equation to figure out the differences but you'd need a lot of measurements not provided. In reality, they probably flow extremely comparable. I would NOT base any decision of which would be a better head simply because of the difference in runner size. And honestly, if I were guessing, I think the TFS will win. I'm fairly confident it would win on the intake side.

For your application, IMO, your best buy (assuming you won't be buying a custom cam initially), are the TW heads. IF you were buying a custom cam initially, there are probably 2-3 others I'd consider.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:11 PM
mnile9127
2nd Gear Member

No sir, not yet. I'm going to take the car to US 41 Dragway. That will do
me fine. That will also tell me if my TwEECer tuning skills are up to par.
The best way for me (IMO) to know how fast my car is . Is to take it
to the track not the treadmill.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

Thanks, Ya well all of this could be a mute subject ifI get my buddies heads and cam real cheap. Other then that I will probably just do some more research on flow charts and results of dart and trickflow heads on supercharged mustangs likeI have already.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:31 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Except for the fact that the header bolt pattern is completely different and it still wouldnt bolt up to my intake at all which i cant change because i have to have the gt40 with my kb.
Are you sure we're talking about the same cylinder head? Somehow I dont think we are. The exhaust side has provisions for 2 different bolt patterns. And I know for a fact that a FACTORY intake would bolt right up to these heads.
-P.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:47 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

I told you about that old timer at the Machine Shop....he said that Darts are HORRIBLE!

And he does not sell heads either...so it is not like he was trying to sell me something....he was generally giving me his honest (professional) opinion...

If you want to stay away from AFRs, Ivote TrickFlow
Old 07-18-2007, 08:02 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Man your splitting pea's with all the technical crap on the heads, just get the trick flows if you don't want the afr's and call it a day. so what if one set produces 3 more hp than one set. there's no one perfect combo. I got freinds running trick flows that are faster then ones running afr's. if your trying to build a 9 sec car then maybe I'd worry but if all you want is a 11 or 12 sec car it doesn't matter but I wouldn't use darts they work good on a chevy!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:10 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

How are they actually measured then FullAuto? Onyx i could be in the nines for compression even with the 58 chambers, but it still doesnt mean its a good idea to use either one on a boosted engine.
All im saying is thats kind of a weird reason not to want a great set of heads. Plenty of people have been running boost on stock 5.0 bottom ends with AFR 165s no problem
Old 07-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

Wierd reason? Being able to run more boost and make more power and make it safer doesnt sound too wierd too me. There is a reason why the best boost compression is 8.5 to 1, sure you can use those afrs but you cant run much boost at all and if you try too you will just have to retard timing to keep it from detonating and will belosing power. A car with 10 lbs of boost on 9 to 1 compression will always make more power than a high 9.7 to 1 because of all the timing you need to take out.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:19 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CantStopTheFox...

I told you about that old timer at the Machine Shop....he said that Darts are HORRIBLE!

And he does not sell heads either...so it is not like he was trying to sell me something....he was generally giving me his honest (professional) opinion...

If you want to stay away from AFRs, Ivote TrickFlow
And there's the key phrase tight there. He may know everything in the world about building engines... but many of the builders are EXTREMELY biased and set in their ways. Especially if he's an old timer. Even if you have scientific proof that something is better, he's probably likely to blow it off and downplay it like it's meaningless.

That's not saying he isn't good at what he does. But he's probably been doing the same thing for 30 - 40 years. And doing it the same way day in and day out. I'm sure his way works great. But the fact is, times have changed and technology has changed. And it's probably safe to say that he did not change with the times.

Reminds me of Grandpa Simpson when he was talking about people changing to the metric system. His response: “The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I like it!”
Old 07-19-2007, 08:30 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i've heard mention of canfields in here but nobody seems to be latching on to that one.

thats the route i'd probably be taking. hell there's always the victor jr. heads which are alot better than most people would think

Quick Reply: I would like everyones expertise on this one.