5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Big effin problem. need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:34 PM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

Default Big effin problem. need help

For the last few weeks my check oil line has come on and off so i checkthed the oil and it was fine, and this proceeded 4 awhil,i would check it and it would be fine, so 1 day my car starts running like crap and vibrates alot and the enginesounds like its making an underwater bubbeling sound at idle and when i drove it, i havent drove it since and when i checked the oil it was really really low. So im going to go add some more 2morrow but where did 3 quarts of oil go that fast, my exhaust wasnt smoking and there is no really big oil spots in the driveways i park in, just a few smalls 1s.....
Old 07-20-2007, 10:41 PM
SoDakStang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Big effin problem. need help

The check oil light usually means one qt. low. Mine burns a little oil so when the light comes on, I just add a quart and go. If the check oil light was on for an extended period of time, you were probably running pretty low on oil. The "bubbling" sounds that you refered to is probably a liffer tick. That's my guess.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:42 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

my friends truck made that "underwater" noise before.

ended up being headgaskets.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:42 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

How was your oil pressure??
Old 07-20-2007, 10:44 PM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

if it were me, i would just go ahead and do a full oil and filter change, and make sure your coolant is good...sometimes if the car is running hot, it will burn oil, and be unnoticed especially if you are driving...I had a similar problem, i was leaking coolant and my mix was more water than coolant, and my oil kept dissapearing, so i did a full oil change, and coolant flush and no problems since
Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 PM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

yea the coolant keeps goin down and i keep adding to it, the oil pressure is normal, and it might be the head gasket, i rcently replaced the intake manifold and mb i messed it up some how? idk i torqued everything to specs and did it exactly the same way the manifold said, installed a new pcv valve
Old 07-20-2007, 10:59 PM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

in your coolant resevior does it look like just coolant, or is it milky? dark? check for coolant on the driveway...if your oil pressure is good, id be willing to bet, you are just running hot...if the coolant is boiling in the system or running low, the oil is there to cool everything down, but at the same time burns off, so id go with that
Old 07-20-2007, 11:46 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

if ur losing coolant it coulb be a sticky thermostat and ur waterpump is pumpin it out somewhere and ur waterpump it self could be bad.. do a coolant pressure test ( i believe thats what its callaed)

and HGs sux i was losing coolant for a long time.. replaced basically everything.. thermostst, waterpump and finally it was the HG.. and the shop hit my heater core pipe when they fixed it so i had to replace that too..
Old 07-21-2007, 03:14 PM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

yea its been losing coolant since ive owned it and the thermostat in there isnt stuck, its 1 of those racing 1s or w/e, the 1s where it blows hot air in the summer and cold during the winter lol
Old 07-21-2007, 03:29 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

time for a compression test. I think you may have a BHG man. I would do the coolant pressure test and try to findan externalleak, if you can't you may have an internal leak.

Quick Reply: Big effin problem. need help