5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine built for Turbo vs Engine built for N/A

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

Default Engine built for Turbo vs Engine built for N/A

Im having an engine built for my car this month or next as some of you know. This engine is going to be for a turbocharger application.

My question was having this engine built for turbocharging, what would differ from having an engine built for N/A? Can you still go with a cam for higher RPM ranges?

Also one problem is, that this engine will be N/A until I get the HP kit, so will the engine which will be built for turbocharging still be able to run naturally aspirated for a few months?

Thanks for any info guys.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:54 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine built for Turbo vs Engine built for N/A

Best source would be an aftermarket turbo company but, my guess is forced induction requires less compression ratio, special cam, etc.. Using it without turbo would result in lower than N/A performance until the pressure kicks in.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

Well I know that I need lower compression. Ill try calling HP though.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

of course the engine will run NA even if its built for boost.

low compression pistons,

cam made for boost

its not like the engine wont run, it will run but its just not optimized for NA so you wont get as much power out of it while its NA, you will be boosting later so you will be ok.

think about it like this, when your driving on the highway and your revved low and not hitting boost, your engine is running kinda like NA right?
Old 01-21-2005, 07:04 PM
619socalstang
3rd Gear Member

build it for boost and it well be fine if its going to be alond time before boosted then use a hp instead of a boost cam until then, the cam i the big diff internally, and of corse timing is easy.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:14 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

I also looked into boosting b4 i went N/A, and was told to go w/ forged pistons and crank if you're using any power adder (by several people). I'm not absolutely sure, but it sounds right.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

well you can run 9.1 to CR with no problem. as for cams you dont need a specific cam. actually the stock cam works great with boost. if E cam its a perfect boosted cam also it does limit you to the rpms. alot of JYTT kits boost drop off around 5k so the E cam is a good cam hell like i said stock cam is agood one. you can run hyper pistons for low amounts of boost but if you plan on going with anything higher then 12psi i would recomend forged. but in the end teh stock production style blocks cant take nothing really more then 500 hp. you can make a 600hp glory run but then your done. you start testing the block around 450 hp now you can run that saftely with a decent rpm but you can also run a 600hp motor with low rpms but eventually it will give. if you have any other questions check out www.turbomustangs.com. alot of ppl say run a 65mm tb but it would really depend on the level and range of your power. yes you can run your motor NA to you Turbo it. cause 9.1 is what 5.0s have stock
Old 01-22-2005, 05:50 AM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ohsoquik02

well you can run 9.1 to CR with no problem. as for cams you dont need a specific cam. actually the stock cam works great with boost. if E cam its a perfect boosted cam also it does limit you to the rpms. alot of JYTT kits boost drop off around 5k so the E cam is a good cam hell like i said stock cam is agood one. you can run hyper pistons for low amounts of boost but if you plan on going with anything higher then 12psi i would recomend forged. but in the end teh stock production style blocks cant take nothing really more then 500 hp. you can make a 600hp glory run but then your done. you start testing the block around 450 hp now you can run that saftely with a decent rpm but you can also run a 600hp motor with low rpms but eventually it will give. if you have any other questions check out www.turbomustangs.com. alot of ppl say run a 65mm tb but it would really depend on the level and range of your power. yes you can run your motor NA to you Turbo it. cause 9.1 is what 5.0s have stock

Thanks a lot man, that was really helpful.

To give you more info ----

I wanted to get a cam with a really rough idle but those cams are more for higher RPMs, so I guess they will only work with N/A. Im planning to run about 15psi of boost. The new engine Im building, Im going to get a block a little better than stock, something that can handle around 700hp would suit me just fine.

Ill keep you guys updated, and once again thanks everyone for the info.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:46 PM
neogenic83
3rd Gear Member

with hype pistons I wouldn't go more than 8-9 U got to think a turbo is going to produce quite a bit more power than an S-C. 10 and above I would go forged and no I am going home after a track run
Old 01-22-2005, 03:16 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

I wanted to get a cam with a really rough idle but those cams are more for higher RPMs, so I guess they will only work with N/A. Im planning to run about 15psi of boost. The new engine Im building, Im going to get a block a little better than stock, something that can handle around 700hp would suit me just fine.

if your goin that much hp, your going to need an aftermarket block...

Quick Reply: Engine built for Turbo vs Engine built for N/A