5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

still need help! wont start...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 02:47 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: still need help!

Inside the dizzy there is a reluctor ring.. looks like a chinese throwing star and to the left a magnetic pick up.....this works kind of like a crank sensor in that it uses this signal to id what cylinder is coming up in the firing order can't remember which wires you scope but to test it normally you set your multimeter to a/c voltage and crank the motor over and you should have a occilating figure..... you should be able to go to th help section on 5oh.com or sbf.com I'm not to farmiliar with these do it your selfer sites as I use ALL DATA and scan tools and occiliscopes at my shop . other people who are more farmiliar with navigating these sites may now where to pull the tests in a matter of minutes.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:12 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

For the pulse check with a 12-vdc test light, you would have to use a paper clip extension from the alligator clip side of the test light, and connect it to one of the pin terminals in the injector connector, then probe the other injector connector pin .....like using the test light as a jumper.....then check for the pulse.

You could also use a 194 replacement bulb or an LED and attach either to the injector connector pins; and check for the pulse while the engine cranks, or while you rotate the distributor back and forth with the key in IGN ON.

If there's no injector pulse and the fuel pump doesn't turn engine cranking = possible stator sensor failure..............no injector pulse, and fuel pump turns on while engine cranks = possible bad ECM.

Another check you should do.....is disconnect the SPOUT and see if the engine starts. LUK

do you mean opposite connector? like not the one its supposed to go in when you put the clip on?

and my fuel pump turns on i get 40psi of fuel pressure and i have spark
Old 07-22-2007, 03:28 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

alright so im an idiot i didnt connect the test light correctly.. but the light doesnt get bright the filliment turns orange like its not gettin enough volts.. i also checked the volts from the orange wire for the tps to the battery and i only got like 1.75v when ur link says 5v and the same with the evp wire also i have a 31 code KOEO.. EVP low voltage.. so what could be causing all of this low voltage?
Old 07-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nacanitihs

alright so im an idiot i didnt connect the test light correctly.. but the light doesnt get bright the filliment turns orange like its not gettin enough volts.. i also checked the volts from the orange wire for the tps to the battery and i only got like 1.75v when ur link says 5v and the same with the evp wire also i have a 31 code KOEO.. EVP low voltage.. so what could be causing all of this low voltage?
Dim test light is OK...the brighter the light the longer the injector stays open. Keep in mind that you are checking for a ground pulse that lasts milliseconds, therefore the filament will stay dim......if it would light up at full intensity, you would be pouring raw fuel out of the exhaust, or hydro-locking the motor.....which will be worse.....

Recheck VREF at the TPS with the VOM and sensor disconnected (check the wire at the harness corresponding to the orange wire on the sensor side), confirm the low voltage reading.....if low voltage is present, while monitoring VREF output.....disconnect the EVP, and BP sensors.....does VREF output go to 4 - 6 vdc?....
Old 07-22-2007, 05:10 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

what sensor disconnected?
Old 07-22-2007, 05:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

he's refering to the tps
Old 07-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Start with the TPS disconnected and monitor the VREF at the TPS harness connector......if VREF is below 4 vdc, disconnect the EVP sensor and check at TPS connector, if it's still under 4 vdc, disconnect the BP sensor and check voltage reading at TPS connector......
Old 07-22-2007, 09:54 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ok and sry what is the BP sensor?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:55 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

barometric pressure sensor(MAP)
Old 07-22-2007, 10:58 PM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

Take it to ford and have them put it on the computer, it cost like $60 bucks. They will tell you whats wrong with it then you can take it home and fix it.

Quick Reply: still need help! wont start...