5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Best top end kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Ahnial8u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Best top end kit

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

ORIGINAL: fasfwd

u might think i crazy. but the best doller for doller thing to do is port the hell outta your stock e7's and upper and lower intake man. and mill your heads thirty thousandths, and stick an old letter cam like a B or E. everyone says motorsport cams are junk, but trust me there not. if u dont wanna go that route, and u wanna spend a butt load, get an edelbrock kit....they have the best heads IMO.
that sounds ludicrous. are you trying for a 5.slow?
I've seen some E-7 Thumper heads that flow almost as much as some entry level Aluminum heads. Just because you don't pay $1,000 dollars for a set of heads don't mean it doesn't work. Everything has to worktogether.The stock intake can be cut Honed and welded back up for some impressive performance. But think about all the time and money that was put into the stock pieces to get to this point.
Another Friend just bought A 95 Cobra and threw a F cam in it and he's running 13.50 at 101, this was also his very first time to the track also.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:57 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: Ahnial8u

u might think i crazy. but the best doller for doller thing to do is port the hell outta your stock e7's and upper and lower intake man. and mill your heads thirty thousandths, and stick an old letter cam like a B or E. everyone says motorsport cams are junk, but trust me there not. if u dont wanna go that route, and u wanna spend a butt load, get an edelbrock kit....they have the best heads IMO.
I've seen some E-7 Thumper heads that flow almost as much as some entry level Aluminum heads. Just because you don't pay $1,000 dollars for a set of heads don't mean it doesn't work. Everything has to worktogether.The stock intake can be cut Honed and welded back up for some impressive performance. But think about all the time and money that was put into the stock pieces to get to this point.
Another Friend just bought A 95 Cobra and threw a F cam in it and he's running 13.50 at 101, this was also his very first time to the track also.
entry level is right. you have to do allllllllll this work to make this little POS head work almost the same as your entry level aluminum head. people could quit being cheap, fork up for a good set of heads and be there already andhave room to grow later.

i also have a friend that has a cobra that runs 11's. good for your friend but what does that have to do with ported e7's?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Yeah, but entry lelve alum. heads are what, $800 at the very least?

You can get heads ported for $400 and save some $$$.

However, for the hassle of install, you may as well buy some decent heads. Hell, at least some gt40's
Old 07-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Ahnial8u
3rd Gear Member

entry level is right. you have to do allllllllll this work to make this little POS head work almost the same as your entry level aluminum head. people could quit being cheap, fork up for a good set of heads and be there already andhave room to grow later.

i also have a friend that has a cobra that runs 11's. good for your friend but what does that have to do with ported e7's?
Nothing at all. I was talking about the Cam, and the fact that it has GT-40 P heads on it.( IRON)
Not everybody has the $$$$ to spend so they try to make the best out of what they can with their Budget.
The E-7 head is the weakest link in the 5.0 engine, But with some work it can and will make power.it is how well your combo is put together.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:07 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

There is someone on this forum that did just that and he was highly dissapointed . I would not reccomend going that route. the E7's are crap. Look for some used TF or AFR's. I'm sorry but i have not been impressed with the Eddy's. Your opinion on ford cams must be because you run one, i am not flaming the cam but there are much better OFS cams than ford.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:18 AM
primo232

I'm very happy withthe Trick Flow kit in my 90 GT.I agree that you will have to also install all supporting mods if you want to get past 300 rwhp without some type of power adder.You will need to go a little further with a custom chip/tune. I got 321 rwhp with a stock 302 bottom end. Also a lot of cash to put down so get some experienced help if needed.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:19 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Guess i was a little late in my opinion of ported e7's and alphabet cam. I was writing a response when my boss decided to ask me some questions, it took about 20 min for me to finish writing. And as someone stated "not everyone has the money to buy the good stuff". That is true and i am not picking on them, everyone one has been through tight times. But i think if the money is not avaliable now, then save till you can buy decent parts. If you want power why spend money on something that is temperary because that is what it will be and later you will be wanting to buy better. For the price of all the head and intake porting you can just pick up a used nitrous kit that will not be money wasted because you can use that with future mods.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:39 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

Guess i was a little late in my opinion of ported e7's and alphabet cam. I was writing a response when my boss decided to ask me some questions, it took about 20 min for me to finish writing. And as someone stated "not everyone has the money to buy the good stuff". That is true and i am not picking on them, everyone one has been through tight times. But i think if the money is not avaliable now, then save till you can buy decent parts. If you want power why spend money on something that is temperary because that is what it will be and later you will be wanting to buy better. For the price of all the head and intake porting you can just pick up a used nitrous kit that will not be money wasted because you can use that with future mods.
agreed!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:29 PM
84Capri
1st Gear Member

This is completely off topic, but Capri Debris, is that hood on your Capri a stock hood? I'm looking for a new hood to clear my air cleaner/distributor, and all I can find are 3" cowl hoods, your hood looks BADASS!

Sorry about going o/t

Old 07-26-2007, 01:39 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Nothing at all. I was talking about the Cam, and the fact that it has GT-40 P heads on it.( IRON)
Not everybody has the $$$$ to spend so they try to make the best out of what they can with their Budget.
The E-7 head is the weakest link in the 5.0 engine, But with some work it can and will make power.it is how well your combo is put together.
cobras have GT-40s not p.

everyone knows this hobby is not cheap. so why cheap out when your buying one of the most important components the heads? and then the cam? the cam is the brain of the motor......

also whats the expression you can't polish a turd

Quick Reply: Best top end kit