5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

help with my 5.0!

Old 07-23-2007, 09:24 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: help with my 5.0!

as far as the vibration goes check the motor and trans mounts make sure none are broken or resting on the frame.

why not rebuild the tranny?? that's an easy fix inside the tranny I'm in maryland if you were close I'd do it for you cheap.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:42 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BAM614

does removing the egr give me any gains/benefits? its just something i've read about.

thanks for the pic of the ujoint, i'll see what i find.
Well as long as you don't live in an area that requires emissions testing its not really needed. You might notice a bit of a gain. I still have mine in, I figure it works fine so I'm gonna leave it.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:58 PM
BAM614
2nd Gear Member

Not sure how to rebuild it but I've got a good tranny from my dad's car in the garage, he put a wc t5 in his cobra, so its just there for me to have. i might rebuild mine later though, for spares or what's it worth to sell?

Are solid motor mounts a bad idea? the car is a weekend/strip car, that's about it.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:02 PM
MUSTANGMIKE1320

I HAVE MY EGR OFF AND MY CAR RUNS FINE AS FAR AS OIL PRESSURE REPLACE YOUR OIL PRESSURE SENDING UNIT I DONT HAVE A PIC BUT IT IS A CHEAP PART AND I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND IT FIXED IT
Old 07-23-2007, 08:12 PM
BAM614
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure its the sending unit, I've gotten that answer from quite a few people. Do I NEED to replace it, like will it cause any problems or just not give the stock gauge the correct reading? Reason I ask is because I've got a couple autometer gauges in the garage, one being an oil pressure and I could just install that one in the a-pillar, correct?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:14 PM
BAM614
2nd Gear Member

Also, in my steering there is like a good 1/4 turn or so of play before I actually start turning the wheels, like if going straight I can move the steering wheel left or right quite a bit before the car reacts, what would cause that?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:35 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

check the steering shaft universial joints or tie rods (inner and outer)if both those are okay then the steering rack has an internal problem
Old 07-23-2007, 08:36 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

The play in steering wheel is prob tie rods, That could also be some of your vibration. This might sound crazy but if vibration is coming from middle to rear of car it could be your diff. Check your fluid, if it is fine grab the back of your drive shaft at the pinion gear and see if it has any play. I had the same vibration prob in one of my other foxes, the shifter would vibrate violently, it would hurt to hold it. I had two problems, one was my pinion gear, i had changed gears about 6 mos before the problem started so not for sure if that was the cause. THe second was in my inner tie rods, jack front of car and grab wheels at 9 and 3, if you can move them back and forth it is your tie rods. Mine was my inner tie rods that connect to rack and pinion. I bought a reman. rack and pinion with inner tie rods attached for $77. After tightening my pinion gear and replacing rack and pinion it was like a new car. Give it a try.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:42 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MUSTANGMIKE1320

I HAVE MY EGR OFF AND MY CAR RUNS FINE AS FAR AS OIL PRESSURE REPLACE YOUR OIL PRESSURE SENDING UNIT I DONT HAVE A PIC BUT IT IS A CHEAP PART AND I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND IT FIXED IT
Sorry to be off topic, but when someone uses capitals constantly am I the only one who imagines some guy with a big mouth yelling really loud like an idiot? Like this guy from Dilbert.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:12 PM
BAM614
2nd Gear Member

Alright well I got it all jacked up today and checked the driveshaft and the tie rods/wheels, wheels don't move and niether does the driveshaft, other than them all spinning, lol.

I did notice some leak at the rear end where the driveshaft bolts to it, as well as where the trans/motor bolt together, any ideas?

next, I notice a nasty amount of crud/leak all over the bottom of the PS pump/tank, the steering feels fine driving, but I checked and I don't think there's any fluid in there, can I just remove the PS setup and just loop the lines on the rack w/ some fluid left in there? This is strictly a track car/weekend night street car. Anyone run manual steering?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help with my 5.0!