5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

turbo application

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 06:12 PM
ilovemy885ohh

Default turbo application

ok, hey everyone, I'm a newbie...haha i just have a couple questions...i want to set my 306 up for a turbo application, probably a T-04 V-trim, or a GT42 each from garrett...if anyone knows with one would be better let me know...anyway, i have my 306 with a B-303 cam, decked heads (which i will be getting new ones for the turbo)...however i dont know what my compression is...ok to my questions, could i still run my b-303 cam with a turbo set-up? and what compression would be best for about 11-15psi? also what pistins would be best for a lower compression, please let me know....
thanks
-Danimal_
Old 01-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: turbo application

Yes B-cam should work good
8.5:1
Reverse Dome
Old 01-22-2005, 06:28 PM
ilovemy885ohh

where could i find some reverse dome pistons...also, do you think if i bought headers, i would be able to turn them upsidedown and reverse sides, so they would face foward, and run a pipe from one header under the oil pan to meet up with the other header and put the turbo flange there?
Old 01-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ilovemy885ohh

where could i find some reverse dome pistons...also, do you think if i bought headers, i would be able to turn them upsidedown and reverse sides, so they would face foward, and run a pipe from one header under the oil pan to meet up with the other header and put the turbo flange there?
its not as easy as it sounds. sure you might be able to do something like that, but you would have a hard time trying to figure out how to maze the pipe since the shorties arent made for this application. you could give it a shot but i think it would be pretty hard to do the flip-header style thing without some miracle piping.

dont forget the header flange wont match the turbine inlet so youll have to do some cutting and welding there.

i have been searching the internet for a while now looking for a good turbo header design that is simple and easy to make. check out my other post on it.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Dbeck002

ORIGINAL: ilovemy885ohh

its not as easy as it sounds. sure you might be able to do something like that, but you would have a hard time trying to figure out how to maze the pipe since the shorties arent made for this application. you could give it a shot but i think it would be pretty hard to do the flip-header style thing without some miracle piping.

dont forget the header flange wont match the turbine inlet so youll have to do some cutting and welding there.

i have been searching the internet for a while now looking for a good turbo header design that is simple and easy to make. check out my other post on it.

Its better to just use turbo headers, instead of turning yours upside down. Like dbeck said, you would have to fab your own turbo kit basically if you did that.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:30 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

well first you need a plan looks like your still debating on things..this may help..first dicide on the turbo ..then do the rest..that cam is terrible even in a stock even..turbo with mild boost like more lift on the exhaust...you can use stock type piston and used a 64cc head to lower compression a bit..I think edelbrock heads are 64cc.....now if you use a reverse dome....a good thing, in a turbo then the TFS heads work well..it set up to push flow to the spark plug area for a better burn and less risk of detnation....just remember a too big turbo won't be fun beacuse you'll have turbo lag because it needs time to spool up but you could use nitrous in the low rpm band
Old 01-24-2005, 03:24 AM
ilovemy885ohh

well i think i am going to go with the GT42 from garrett unless its too much..this is going to be a homemade turbo kit...im going to school at wyotech and i am going to use my car as my project so i am going to be making the exhaust and all the piping necessary...would an E-303 cam be better?, and also what company makes good dished pistons because i tried looking around and speed pro are the best ones i have found so far...one more question, would i have to change anything with my computer at all? let me know
thanks,
-Danimal-
Old 01-24-2005, 03:32 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

i think the alphebet cams are a bad choice when using turbo's... i would consider custom cam... crane cams, comp cams etc...
Old 01-24-2005, 04:46 AM
StangTangGT
3rd Gear Member

hey how is wyotech? i was considering saving up and going there. i was looking for a really good program with tons of hands on time to get the experience. looked like probly the best school available, your opinion? the e-cam would probly work better, but still not a great cam. you could call comp ar crane cams and could custom grind you a cam for the turbo setup. the cam is where your hp potential lies so research alot. but otherwise if your not learning anything about building turbo engines at school id worry about building up the engine for now, and research the turbo stuff along the way.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:20 PM
ilovemy885ohh

haha ok i finally made up my mind, its going to be a T04 62-1 trim from Garrett...Wyotech is pretty good, i hate all of the stock kind of things, like everything has to be to manufacter's specifications in the core classes, thats why i cant wait to get to high performance engines and then street rod classes...how much would a custom cam cost, i mean i will be saving up for this project along the way but i dont to be spending a real lot for a cam, but i know they are important for horsepower...