5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

newbee performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:13 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Default newbee performance questions

New to the 5.0 sceen, hope I don't ramble on. I scored an 89 LX HB today, for $500. Bone stock 5.0 (149,000mi), No smoke whatsoever, oil pressure 35psi at idle when warm, AOD shifts firm,super cleangrey cloth interior, cold ac, power windows work great, goodyear eagle tires 50% tread, all around great condition with the exception of somerust on the rear hatchback alongthe glass (all the way across the decklid along the glass, and rust on the lower drivers door. If I can find a good hatchback, and a drivers door, the rest of the body is perfect. Not even any dings or dents. As far as themotor, it's as clean as the rest of the car.I work withlast 2 owners, and I've been around this car for the last 7 years.Thelast owner (he had it for the last 2 years),used it as a daily driver until yesterday (he bought a new Honda CRV). He lives a mile from work, and put 9000mi on it the last2 years, only replacing the alternator. You've all heard the stories about the little old lady that owned the car, but this carcame with a 2" thick hard back notebook, with original sticker, original invoice, original brochoure, and virtually every receit from oil changes, to tire rotations, alignments, to headlight switch replacement, tranny fluid, etc, etc, etc..... Not only did he keep a log in the book for oil changes, there is a receit for every oil change starting at 1108 miles (no BS, it's not missing 1 receit!). The book alone makes for some interesting reading, I spent about an hour going through it this afternoon. It's really a shame that this car has rust, the rest of the vehicle is super nice for an 18 year old car. Anyway, I'm looking for somebasic tips on improving the performance of the motor, and what would be the best bang for my buck (not interested in nitrous). Also any suspension mods (it does ride pretty rough when you hit a bump)
Thanks, Kevin
Old 07-23-2007, 09:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: newbee performance questions

H/C/I, full exhaust, 4. 10 gears 3000 stall and add a shift kit and if it were mine I'd freshen up the bottom end but that's just me.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:19 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

the answer lyes in what you want from the car.
do you want to lift the front end on the track? or do you just want to be able to take down most anything on the road?
maybe less?
big difference
Old 07-23-2007, 09:24 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FLcracker9

New to the 5.0 sceen, hope I don't ramble on. I scored an 89 LX HB today, for $500. Bone stock 5.0 (149,000mi), No smoke whatsoever, oil pressure 35psi at idle when warm, AOD shifts firm,super cleangrey cloth interior, cold ac, power windows work great, goodyear eagle tires 50% tread, all around great condition with the exception of somerust on the rear hatchback alongthe glass (all the way across the decklid along the glass, and rust on the lower drivers door. If I can find a good hatchback, and a drivers door, the rest of the body is perfect. Not even any dings or dents. As far as themotor, it's as clean as the rest of the car.I work withlast 2 owners, and I've been around this car for the last 7 years.Thelast owner (he had it for the last 2 years),used it as a daily driver until yesterday (he bought a new Honda CRV). He lives a mile from work, and put 9000mi on it the last2 years, only replacing the alternator. You've all heard the stories about the little old lady that owned the car, but this carcame with a 2" thick hard back notebook, with original sticker, original invoice, original brochoure, and virtually every receit from oil changes, to tire rotations, alignments, to headlight switch replacement, tranny fluid, etc, etc, etc..... Not only did he keep a log in the book for oil changes, there is a receit for every oil change starting at 1108 miles (no BS, it's not missing 1 receit!). The book alone makes for some interesting reading, I spent about an hour going through it this afternoon. It's really a shame that this car has rust, the rest of the vehicle is super nice for an 18 year old car. Anyway, I'm looking for somebasic tips on improving the performance of the motor, and what would be the best bang for my buck (not interested in nitrous). Also any suspension mods (it does ride pretty rough when you hit a bump)
Thanks, Kevin

welcome to the forums... now a lotta ppl are goin to say gears, drag radials, exhuast and probably some control arms.... but are u actaulyl goin to drag race this car or do you want a quicking street car?? is it a daily driver?? is it just a weekend cruiser?? or is it actaully goin to be an all out drag car... we really need to know you plans and what kind of cash you are willing to drop on it before we can throw some ideas at you
Old 07-23-2007, 09:53 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. My plans are for an ocassional driver, less than 100 miles a month. 95% street driven, but an occasional trip to the strip.My initial plans werefor a cold air intake, maybe upgrade the throttle body (would I have to upgrade the injectors and pump?),new gears (I set up my own), sub frame connectors, but other than that, I'm open?. I would like to keep the cost under $2000?. I had a 72 Maverick Grabber with a modified 302, it ran 13.40s (with ac and power steering hooked up), and I'd like to see this car run somewhere in that neighborhood?. Just looking for opinions on what way to go?
Thanks, Kevin

Old 07-23-2007, 10:00 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

if you really only want low-to-mid 13's out of it, find a junkyard with a 96 Explorer 5.0 engine, buy the engine, and swap the heads, cam, and intake. gears, exhaust, and sticky tires will bring the rest of the E.T.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:15 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

That easy?. I'm assuming your talking about swapping to the GT40P heads?. I'm assuming that I would then have to purchase a set of MAC headers to fit the heads?. I ask this because I actually have a set of GT40Ps installed on a 351W in my son's F150. They seem to work good on the 5.8 (I had to drill the bolt holes out to fit the 351s 1/2" headbolts). How much difference is there between the Explorer's cam and the stock cam?, can I go aftermarket on the cam?. Also, I see there is a Cobra type upper and lower intake (round holes vs square holes), they're not real expensive, are they any good for my application?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:16 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

the explorer cam is worth it too? as cheap as cams are id almost tell the guy to buy a new, mild cam
Old 07-23-2007, 10:21 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

it makes a touch more torque in the lower range, which is what a street car needs.

still a stock cam, nonetheless, and a new box cam might do nicely... but since it would come with the motor, it is somewhat an upgrade and will help the new H/I
Old 07-23-2007, 10:28 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

well when ur right ur right... no arguments here