5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Difference b/t Mustang dyno and regular dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 01:55 PM
MrMiracle
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Difference b/t Mustang dyno and regular dyno?

Regardless of the type that you use, any dyno is useful for figuring out optimum fuel maps and spark curves, tuning carbs, and locating areas of driveline loss. Force and power are fairly nebulous things, though. Dynos are good for figuring out relative power increases or decreases for any given change in the car, but they aren't a good way of measuring absolute levels of horsepower. Even a human can generate 2 horsepower over certain brief moments, and a real horse can generate up to 10.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Legally_Blown
3rd Gear Member

dang. so there is a difference. I just always wondered b/c people are pushing like 400rwhp with almost the same setup as me and i'm only pushing 300. how's can this be explained?
Old 07-25-2007, 03:38 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0Sleeper

dang. so there is a difference. I just always wondered b/c people are pushing like 400rwhp with almost the same setup as me and i'm only pushing 300. how's can this be explained?
In my opinion there are guys on this forum that have numbers posted in their sigs etc...but never post the dyno sheet for proof. [:@].

I have seen several posts in the last month where they claim to hit this great number, but there is never a sheet posted....even after I email them and ask to see it.....so my message is dont believe everything you see......I built my car and was present when the car was tuned.....also the number in my sig is what I drive the car on....no intake iced down or running race fuel or ridiculous timing...(Also would not trust any number that was done when the owner was not there to witness it!!)

My dyno guy will throw the car on the Dynojetgive you AFR and power numbers on three runs for like $75..You could do that to see what the difference is....
Old 07-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Legally_Blown
3rd Gear Member

now with what you have done only90s I can believe that b/c you are running somewhat similar setup but with forced induction and methanol injection.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:57 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gearbanger

so the MD is more accurate because it puts more force on the tires to simulate the road????
No. It is less accurate because it attempts to and leaves all the variables up to the tuner.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:01 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: only90s
Also there is the whole STD versus SAE standards....most guys with ridiculous numbers are all STD which is 4% higher than the SAE standard....

so my SAEnumbers below would change from 416/392 to 433/408 at STD
You can't just make a blanket statement like that. It's not a percentage. The STD is what the car actually did under the actual conditions. The SAE is corrected to specific conditions so you can compare to other cars that are dynoed at a different time, humidity, density altitude, temperature, etc. My SAE to STD difference was less than 3rwhp on a 600rwhp car.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:02 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0Sleeper

If you only made 300rwhp on a MD, you'd probably only make ~330rwhp on a Dynojet.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:03 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

heres a better question

whys it called a mustang dyno?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:11 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

5.0 sleeper? what mods?

it takes a bit for 400 hp , it actaully takes abit for 300 hp.....

HCI or 100 shot of nitrous might not do it even......300 hp will get you 12.50 ets at about 110 mph

i agree dyno numbers are squat....a good measure, a good goal.....but the curve means everything, a smaller curve that gets up there will go faster all day long than a flat curve that spikes at 5000 rpm
Old 07-25-2007, 08:14 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: only90s

In my opinion there are guys on this forum that have numbers posted in their sigs etc...but never post the dyno sheet for proof. [:@].

I have seen several posts in the last month where they claim to hit this great number, but there is never a sheet posted....even after I email them and ask to see it.....so my message is dont believe everything you see......I built my car and was present when the car was tuned.....also the number in my sig is what I drive the car on....no intake iced down or running race fuel or ridiculous timing...(Also would not trust any number that was done when the owner was not there to witness it!!)
I agree to a certain extent. But it seems lately that the numbers being posted as rather disappointing. There is another way to look at it though. I believe more often when people are making great numbers that they aren't telling everything that is done to the car. It's not that they are lieing, but more like not telling everything.

My car made 602rwhp untuned with a stock A9P and an a/f that was rich off the chart (below 10:1)at 3200 and never came on the chart. I did it with a 3.25" stroke crank, Performer RPM intake, TW heads, Novi 2k @ 13psi through an AOD on 93 octane. The car also had the stock clutch fan, a/c and power steering robbing power. Now those are great numbers for what it is. The pull was also stopped early because I blew a header gasket and lost the a/f reading. BUT.... I always seem to forget to mention it was a 4.125" bore Dart block, the TW heads were CNC ported by TEA, the Performer RPM intake was CNC ported by TEA and it had a custom cam from Bennett Racing. Still good though IMO. Mike Murillo seemed to think by correcting the a/f I could have passed 640rwhp on pump gas.

You want to see a neat dyno graph. Look how the convertor slips as he just rolls into the throttle.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28026/E16E0A44F83E4C3F93333EE316F2F5E7.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Difference b/t Mustang dyno and regular dyno?